4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 engine ticking/knocking

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 11:53 PM
kboyd_82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 engine ticking/knocking

I have an 09 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7 liter engine, It just hit 133k miles. It recently has developed a ticking/knocking noise coming from somewhere in the engine. It quiets down a little bit once engine is hot but never fully goes away. The check engine light is NOT on, I have good oil pressure, oil has been changed every 3k miles since ive had it, no loss of power. Ive always used synthetic blend oil in it. I took it to a local mechanic who I trust and have dealt with for years he listened to the noise and took it on a test drive, and he says its obviously not normal and thinks its coming from the valve train. He did say that whatever it is he will have to tear the engine down to confirm the problem, and more than likely it'll be a costly repair (which I figured). He is adamant it is not the exhaust manifold ticking. He actually told me that if it were his truck, he would just drive it until it got worse...... Anyway, what im here for is to ask if at 133k miles, is it a good idea to have it fixed? I know it is relatively low miles compared to some trucks still on the road, and I do have the means to get whatever is ticking/knocking fixed, but I would hate to have this issue fixed then something else major happen to it. Basically Im afraid this thing will turn into a money pit and dont want to just throw money at it if it wouldnt really be worth it in the long run. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by kboyd_82; 01-09-2020 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Change wording
Old 01-11-2020, 02:24 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by kboyd_82
. Anyway, what im here for is to ask if at 133k miles, is it a good idea to have it fixed?
These engines can last a really long time. Mine is over 311K miles with nothing rebuilt and running smooth. I know you said you've been changing the oil, but how about checking it and topping off between oil changes? If the oil has habitually been run low, you may be dealing with a wear situation. If not, then have him pull the valve covers and see if something came loose. A tick is usually up top, a heavier knock is the main bearings below at which point, I'd just replace the engine.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:57 PM
kboyd_82

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
A tick is usually up top, a heavier knock is the main bearings below at which point, I'd just replace the engine.
It definitely sounds like its coming more from the bottom, the noise is slightly louder and more distinguished if you get under the truck...

Old 01-19-2020, 07:36 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

Check the exhaust manifold or exhaust manifold gasket. My 09 5.7L developed a ticking noise and the exhaust manifold had a hairline crack in it. The lifetime powertrain warranty covered it.

Quick Reply: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 engine ticking/knocking