4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011, Ram 1500, 5.7 hemi, P0340

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 07:58 PM
michael.hickerson@msn.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011, Ram 1500, 5.7 hemi, P0340

2011 Ram 4wd, Outdoorsman quad cab, 140k miles, highway driven by my daughter. Check engine light came on in traffic and engine seemed to derate. She costed off to shoulder as transmission would not shift properly and truck didn’t seem to have throttle. She shut engine off and let sit for 10 minutes and then restarted. This occurred twice on a two hour drive back to school. I had shop pull codes and P0340 was showing so replaced cam sensor with Napa cam sensor. Cleared codes and test drove truck and it was perfect. Next day issue reoccurred so I drove back to Illinois and replace crank sensor with a Napa crank sensor. She returned home from school and issue reoccurred so replaced cam sensor and VVT Selinoid. Checked all wiring and connections. Test drove vehicle and it was great. A few days and problem reoccurring. Issue resets by shutting truck off and letting sit. Initially she would loose cruise control and remote start. We no longer loose these. Looking for ideas and help.

update on this issue 01/05/2024
I went to local dealer and got both a Mopar branded Cam shaft sensor and crankshaft sensor and replaced the Napa ones I had installed a month earlier. Test drove the truck and no reappearing code. Note I did not unhook battery to clear codes. They cleared on their own. Truck has now been driven over 500 miles with multiple starts and stops and no codes. Remote start and cruise control are back working. I don’t understand why the new Napa ones would cause the intermittent codes and derates but it is back full operational. Thanks for the feed back. Hope this helps others in the future.

Last edited by michael.hickerson@msn.com; 01-09-2024 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Update: issue repaired
Old 01-02-2024, 09:09 PM
aleekat
Veteran
Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Dodges hate after market sensors.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: 2011, Ram 1500, 5.7 hemi, P0340