5th Gen Ram Tech 2019+ Ram Trucks: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2019 Ram 1500.. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Straight drive conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 06:03 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Straight drive conversion

Unfortunately I had to break down and upgrade to a newer model. Sadly my 2005 2500 SLT QC 5.7 NV4500 rotted out and left me no choice but to buy a 2022 2500 tradesman QC 6.4 with the 8 speed auto. I like the truck. Slowly making it mine. I really want a straight drive but…. They are no longer made. So I’m going to make my own. The hardware should be fairly simple. 6.4 scat pack challenger fly wheel, NV4500 from an SLT with a 5.7 should be the same bolt pattern as the 6.4 if memory serves me correct because I was looking into a 6.4 swap on my 05. The provision is there for the clutch peddle, and the floor shifter. That’s the easy part. The hard part is the software. Everything is controlled through the ECU…. I had to reset a CEL because I unplugged the left front headlamp assembly and nothing would work until I reset the ECU 🤦🏻‍♂️
i was kinda along the lines of turning off the transmission module using alpha OBD, and everything that has to do with the automatic transmission. But easier said than done. This is where I need more detailed info if anybody has any that would be kind enough to share. I would hate to brick my ECU, and have my truck rollbacked to the dealer. I’m still in the very early stages of brainstorming and getting ideas. I would go with a 6 speed if any bellhousing will bolt up the 6.4 block. And eventually I would like to change from 3.73 gears to 4.10 gears either from a PW with locking diffs. Or keeping my housings and re-gearing.

Quick Reply: Straight drive conversion