3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Help amp install

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
texanrcp
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help amp install

OK maybee a stupid question since I have done a million amps but I always used a harness, is there a way to hook up a amp to our stock sterios, I can not find a harness with the amp out on them for our trucks, any help would be appriciated, oh yea I have a '06 dak with the basic sterio

Old 02-02-2007, 03:27 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help amp install

You have to wire the amp to the stock speakers somehow, I know there is a way, but I cna't think of what it's called... there should be some type of connector near where the Remote Turn-On Lead is.. check around there.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:11 AM
texanrcp
Professional

cool thanks its a starting point

Old 02-02-2007, 08:02 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Well unless Crutchfield cuts me a deal on the deck I wanted or something, I might just be adding my subs to my stock radio too

What you need is L.O.C. (Line Output Converter)....it's like $25 from Best Buy and some 3M Linetaps (this is what I have always used & worked for me EVERY time). Pic of what aLinetap looks like:

It's pretty simple and this is what you do......pull the radio bezel off (2 philips screws at the bottom and then pull out towards you), unplug the harnesses,pull the factory radio out (4 screws hold it in) and thenunhook those harnesses too.

Now you just gotta tap into the factor speaker wiring behind the radio....you need a Left speaker + /- and a Right speaker +/-. You can use the front or the rear...it doesn't matter.

Here's the wiring colors:
LF Speaker + =dk. green
LF Speaker - = dk. green/brown

RF Speaker + = gray
RF Speaker - =gray/brown

LR Speaker + =dk. grn/dk. blue
LR Speaker - = dk. grn/org

RR Speaker += gray/dk.blue
RR Speaker - = gray/orange

Youput the line tap on the factory wire and then connect the corresponding wire to the wire of the LOC. After the 4 wires are hooked up to the LOC then you have a RCA signal. So then plug in the RCA cables to the LOC and then run the RCA cables to your amp.

And then for a remote turn on, you can just use the gray/pink wire in the HVAC controls (what Crutchfield suggests as a 12V source)....it'll turn your amp on with the key in the on position. Here's the pic from theCrutchfield Master Sheet:

Then run a power cable from your battery to the amp & then a ground to the amp, and you've got some sound!!

Hope that helps. If I don't get a aftermarket radio, then I'll do a write up with pics for you guys.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Glk21C
Professional

try http://www.pac-audio.com/default.asp, if they make it they will have what you are looking for. LOC won't give you a quality signal

good luck

Old 02-02-2007, 12:18 PM
bkjtimp
Veteran

When I hooked up my mono amp to a 10" subwoofer on my stock HU, I used the speaker level input on the amp (didn't mess with that RCA converter bs) and tapped into the rear speaker wires...Double check the colors of those wires, cuz the colors are different if you have the Infinity amp (which I have)--the colors may be different after the factory amp. Anyways, tapping in like I said works very well and I have a pretty good sound now, after replacing the factory speakers with JL, and adding that 10" sub (which I have mounted down-firing behind the drivers seat, on the floor--if I get a 4th passenger, I will simply unhook the speaker leads and throw it in the bed of the truck....

Old 02-02-2007, 12:29 PM
snobrdrdan
Captain

ORIGINAL: Glk21C

try http://www.pac-audio.com/default.asp, if they make it they will have what you are looking for. LOC won't give you a quality signal

good luck
L.O.C. is the "economical" way to go though......and it's not gonna be a noticeable difference in the "quality of the signal"

Like I said, I've done it like20 times......never once had a problem

If you got money to waste, then you could try the JL Audio Clean Sweep....heard nothing but good things about it but it's pricey

Old 02-02-2007, 12:30 PM
snobrdrdan
Captain

ORIGINAL: bkjtimp

When I hooked up my mono amp to a 10" subwoofer on my stock HU, I used the speaker level input on the amp (didn't mess with that RCA converter bs) and tapped into the rear speaker wires
Yeah you can do that too (speaker level inputs) if your amp has that option

And yes those wire codes were for a NON-INFINITY system....sorry

Old 02-02-2007, 12:33 PM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Turns out I'm going aftermarket anyways....just ordered a Panasonic 8303 HU & Panasonic iPod cable for $225 SHIPPED

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Shovncb...amp;i=133C8303

HU was $200
iPod cable was in the outlet for $45
Wire harness $Free
Dash kit $Free
Antenna adpater $Free
Shipping $Free

And then a $20 off coupon on top of all that = $225 SHIPPED....not too shabby

I'll have install pics posted whenever I get the stuff & actually put it in....can't wait!!!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bad, I woulda went with alpine though. Hehehe. Dan, what you should do is this..

When you get the adaptor, and all that stuff, have someone plastic weld the adaptor where it belongs, have em weld it smooth, then paint the whole center bezel silver, or whatever color you want it. It'll look a heck of a lot better than having the silver bezel, and then a huge black square, and two half circles.

Quick Reply: Help amp install