Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

"The Big 3"

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:22 AM
DodgeRAmPower
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "The Big 3"

How do you do the Big 3 upgrade on a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4X4? i'm lost about it, do i replace all the wire behind the alternator? i see multiple grounds...please help

Thank you!

Old 07-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Captain Pioneer
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: "The Big 3"

Upgrade your Battery thats number 1 so get a good large battery that has good CCA and provide exceptional voltage regulatiom. (Kinetic or Stinger on the expensive side, or Die Hard Gold Top largest battery that they make, or Optima Yellow top for cheaper side.)
Number 2 would be to upgrade the wires on the battery so that would be your main ground to the chassis. Most likely go with 4 guage to the chassis. Also to run a new set of wires from the Alt would be good as well
Number 3 Get a New ALT... only suggestion i can make is choose what fits your budget although i like excessive amperage HO alternators.

Good luck

Old 07-10-2007, 06:33 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Captain Pioneer

Upgrade your Battery thats number 1 so get a good large battery that has good CCA and provide exceptional voltage regulatiom. (Kinetic or Stinger on the expensive side, or Die Hard Gold Top largest battery that they make, or Optima Yellow top for cheaper side.)
Number 2 would be to upgrade the wires on the battery so that would be your main ground to the chassis. Most likely go with 4 guage to the chassis. Also to run a new set of wires from the Alt would be good as well
Number 3 Get a New ALT... only suggestion i can make is choose what fits your budget although i like excessive amperage HO alternators.

Good luck
Thats not what the big 3 is.

The big 3 is when you upgrade your electrical wiring to have less resistance. You run another battery ground, chassis to engine(alternator) ground, and alternator to battery positive. Fuse the battery positive wire according to what size wire you use. If you use 4 awg throw a 150 amp fuse on it....if 1/0 use a 250 or 300 amp fuse.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Captain Pioneer
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

every big three that I have done on a car has included upgrading battery, chassis grounds, and Alts.

Clearly I am an idiot and overdoing something there...

I dunno from what ive been told and been doing every time ive upgraded electrical on my truck or on a friends we put at least a new bat and wiring in the car.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:50 PM
DodgeRAmPower
Rookie

Hey habeba86, how much wire did it take you (in feet) to do the big 3 on your truck?

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:36 PM
DodgeRAmPower
Rookie

Also how much is a inline fuse holder (300 amp) and a 300 amp fuse together? (in $$)

Old 07-11-2007, 11:33 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Just get about 7 foot to be safe. A fuse holder and fuse would prolly run you around 40 bux. You will also need 6 ring terminals.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:00 PM
DodgeRAmPower
Rookie

Do you guys have pictures for a 94-01 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 Big 3 Upgrade installation? i would greatly appreciate it.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:22 PM
squatchie16
Professional

Are you going to replace the wires that are already there, or are you going to simply augment what is there with another wire? Each is perfectly acceptable, just depends on how much time/money you want to spend and how you want it to look.

I have some pieces of 1/0 Ga wire left...one piece 2.5ft long, one piece 3 ft long, one piece 8ft long and a couple of 250a ANL fuses. I would sell that to ya pretty cheap, also have a whatver 4ga you may need.

I have heard some people like the knuconceptz fuse holders. Never used one myself, but the prices seem pretty good.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:48 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: "The Big 3"