Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

2002 Dodge RAM Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
jgrakla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge RAM Stereo Question

Hi All:
[/align]I posted a question in the Dodge Ram forum, but may be this form is more appropriate.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a 2002 Dodge Ram with the stock Infinity stereo package uses an external amplifier or if it is built into the head unit? The wiring diagrams in my repair manual don't show an external amp, but it sure seams like there may be one to me. See below.

Reason I am asking is that I am trying to track down why my rear speakers aren't working. Testing shows no contuniuty from the rear speaker wires at the back of the head unit (on the harness) to the speaker wires in the door. Whereas, I do have continuity to the front speakers.

I tried running new wires as a test from the head unit to the speakers directly and the speakers work, but that got me thinking, if I do that, am i bypassing an external amp? And, could that be why I am not getting continuity?

I also noticed that even on the front speakers, I could only get continuity when I turned the ignition switch on. Otherwise, it also appeared dead. This also made me think maybe there is a external amp that gets powered with the ignition switch.

Finally, I noted that the speaker wire color codes on the wire harness at the back of the head unit didn't match the same colors at the speakers, again making me thinking there was possibly another element in the mix, i.e. an external amplifier.

I would appreciate any insight you might lend. Thanks.[/align]

Old 09-04-2007, 03:02 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star
Default RE: 2002 Dodge RAM Stereo Question

Yes there is an external amp. If it is a 2500 (classic style) the amps are on the backs of the front speakers. If it's the newer style it is in behind the glovebox.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:11 AM
jgrakla
Default RE: 2002 Dodge RAM Stereo Question

Thanks. I found the amp. I'm trying to troubleshoot whether I have a squirly amp or a short in my factory wiring. Does anybody have a wiring diagram showing how the Infinity amp connects to the front and rear speakers?

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge RAM Stereo Question