Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Speakers Upgraded in Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 03:31 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers Upgraded in Magnum

Just finished swapping some Sony speakers for stock speakers in the doors and rear. I had the base stereo system, doors 6.5" and 6X9" in the rear.

The rear speakers was a breeze. Remove the pull cover and there is 1 screw that "locks" the speaker cover.

The doors is a different story. To remove the door panel there are 2 screws under covers, 1 by the handle and 1 in the map pocket. There are 3 "quick clips" that the only way i found to get them out is to push the center in and then remove the clip. This of course ruins them. There are 3 screws that line the bottom edge and 1 on the rear edge. Once all these are removed there are 3 compresson clips on the top edge of the panel that is removed my pulling on the panel. Disconnect the power window button. And the final thing is the actual door handle linkage, which is removed by swinging the retaining clip and pulling the linkage up. The speakers are fastened to the door adapter panel by Torx screws. The plastic, yes plastic, frames of the speakers are molded to fit the adapter. To mount the new speaker, you have to drill small holes for the screws.

Wiring: If the wire has any yellow on it, then it is the negative(-).

I spent $177 on the four speakers. They are all 3-way and sound a 1000X better than the stockers. Granted they are not competetion quality, but good enough for me. I played the MB Quart/Alpine game years ago.

Sub addition to come.

Also to note: The stock speakers are 4 ohm just like the aftermarket world. So you can run the stock head and not have to worry about overheating it. I dont know about Dodge in the past, but Chevrolet used 10 ohm speakers. In those systems you could easily overheat a stock radio by putting in 4 ohm replacements.

Tommorrow I get to see how much the replacement "quick click" cost. Plus the girlfriend sneaked off with the camera. I should have some pics tommorrow.

Quick Reply: Speakers Upgraded in Magnum