Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Infinity system questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Justin_98Durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity system questions

The moron that had the Durango that I now own was as i put a moron. They took out the radio, all infinity speakers and put pioneer 3 ways in the front doors and lightning audio in the rear doors. The question I have is what are the factory speakers that came in the front and rear doors, as well as, where was the factory amp? This person ran speaker wire through the door jams and to the new speakers.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:05 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star
Default RE: Infinity system questions

What's wrong with changing out the speakers? Maybe the factory speakers were blown. The factory Infinity system speakers are 6.5", paper cone,2-ohm Infinity/Chrysler speakers. Nothingthat great. Nothing you can go to the store and buy or anything either (Which is why they probably changed them to an aftermarket brand)

The amp is located in the passenger kick panel. Only about 1/3 of it sticks down and is visible. The rest goes up inside the dash up against the side of the kick panel. The bottom unbolts, the top is held in by a hook. The amp may have gone bad as well, in that case it would need to have been bypassed,and to do that the speakers must be changed because the headunit alone is not stable with 2-ohm speakers.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Justin_98Durango

Ok, i didn't know the extent of the factory speakers being paper cone, low line infinity. I can also see replacing them with a nice speaker such as a pioneer, but not the ones from the cheap row(lightning audio)at walmart. Either way, they are going to be replaced with something soon. At road speed with the window's down I have to run the radio at like 16-18 just to hear it. It has A/T tires that are more street tread than A/T tread, and they don't hum that loud. I am also looking to put in a overhead DVD system for the kids, any suggestions on that? I was thinking of just a monitor and run a flip out head unit into it.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:42 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Yeah the Lightnings are junk. Even Pioneer (If they are TS-A or TS-G series) are mediocre(sp?)

As far as an overhead... how old are your kids? If they are old enough I would recommend a screen with abuilt in player. Less wires to run, which means less labor and less $$. Plus most of these players have wireless headphones, which lets them watch their movie in complete silence. Most also have a built in FM modulator, which, if you wanted to,allows the sound to play through thevehicles speakers too.

If they are too young to do it themselves I would recommend either getting a DVD player headunit with Dual-Zone. It will allow you to play the DVD through the seperate screen in back, but still allow you and the passenger to listen to the radio up front. It can do two things at once.

In either case, please stay away from ROSEN screens with the built in players! They way ther are built, just tightening the mounting screws messes up the player. I've had somany headaches witht hem I completely stopped carying them. Almost every singkle one I've installed has had an issue with the DVD player. To be honest, I've had the best luck with Audiovox screens. Have hardly ANY issues with them. Our best seller is the Audiovox VOD102 http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...&langId=-1 It has the built in player, nice large screen, different panel covers (Grey/Tan) and built in games.

Quick Reply: Infinity system questions