Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:06 PM
willbailey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!

ok im gonna put a system together for my quad cab but i dont wanna do the whole under the seat deal with subs . im not sure what would sound better though a sub o the back seat or on the floorboard? i know absolutely nothing about sound systems thoguh all i know is i dont just want a bunch of stupid rumbling i want a solid hit on the woofer not jus ratling

Old 06-21-2008, 11:12 PM
marchant
Professional
Default RE: HELP!

Well, I ran into the same situation, and my solution was using a Kenwood powered sub. The KSC SW1 is what I ended up purchasing (I listen primarily to country and classic rock, but I do like some rap and old school hip hop). It fit nicely behind the driver backseat in a standing position. It doesn't create any rumbling, and still offers a nice punch. This sub may seem small, but it packs the punch of a 10". The only restriction is you will have to keep the seat folded down, but it will go up so long as you push back on the sub, so no functionality is lost unlike the MTX 10" sub that subsequently costs 300+.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:16 PM
marchant
Professional

It depends on if you want a powered sub or completely create your own with an amp, sub box, and subs seperately. I found it much easier to buy powered for such tight spacing. Also, what kind of music do you listen to, and how much sub do you want (good quality, wake the neighbors?).
Overall, your best bet is putting the system in on the driver side simply because of wiring (going through firewall, running under the base boards) for a flush look. Installing anywhere else is going to be a pain really for making a flush look.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:14 AM
willbailey

i listen to rock and ocasional rap and country alson. the driver side wouldnt be a problem . so are you saying u use jus a normal sub box faced forward?? i was thinkin i could mount the amp under the back seat i jus dont wan the sub there in case i need to move it and ive heard those give alot of rumble and no punch byt like i said i know nothing about sound systems i jus like it loud with good quality sound

Old 06-22-2008, 11:06 PM
marchant
Professional

So you are wanting to create a system then. Powered subs are ones which come in an enclosure that already are equipped with a amplifier as opposed to creating your own system where you will need to buy an amp, enclosure box, and actual subs.

With that being said, look at this pic. My sub is powered, so I only had to hook it up; nothing more. It was already setup.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:36 PM
marchant
Professional

However, if you are wanting a deep rumble, you'll have to go with something bigger than this.

If you don't mind losing some foot room, setting up a unit facing the rear of the truck is most likely going to produce the best sound, or has proven so in most all suv's. You can actually buy the setups that come as an enclosure/sub combo that will allow you to keep the entire unit hidden without distortion and not lose any of your seating room.

Check out some of these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...XM1&tp=442
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...amp;tab=review
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...10P&tp=114

The MTX is an amazing unit, and it is powered as well. Based on the dimensions, it should be able to fit comfotably behind the rear seats; facing the speakers foward would provide the best sound by far. The seats would help provide a wall which would help deepen and richen the sound. Probably one of your best buys if you can afford it... But this also costs about the same as buying everything individually... now you wouldn't need anything.