Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Why don't speakers work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:41 PM
culthuu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why don't speakers work?

I have 2 factory rear shelf speakers I just took off my 2000 Dodge Neon ES. These are the premium speakers P/N 71273E that are labeled ‘Audiolatina’. My problem is these speakers are perfect as far as I can see. The paper cone is OK as are the wire connections and the ribbed piece in the bottom. The magnets are good. These speakers look brand new but they don’t work. I’ve seen old, sunfaded speakers that were ripped that would at least make some noise but these are both completely silent. I’ve checked the connections to the stereo and they’re fine and other speakers work OK. I know they’re old and OEM speakers are junk but it bugs me why they don’t work. Anybody have any ideas?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:15 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why don't speakers work?

Take an ohmeter and check resistance betweed the connectors Tell us what it reads ....

Old 07-07-2008, 06:22 PM
culthuu

There is no resistance. 0 ohms.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:55 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems way too low should be 2/4 /8 ohms ... I'm guessing they are shorted check to the frame of the speaker to the connectors

Old 07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
SRT_Sizzle

The speakers should read near 4 ohms, +/- 1 ohm. A reading of zero means that there is a problem in the circuit: either a wire is disconnected somewhere (fixable) or the voice coil is toast (not fixable)... or your multimeter isn't working correctly and there is some other problem.

Try this: get a 9 volt square battery, about a foot and a half of wire, and some electrical tape. Cut the wire into two equal lengths and strip a half inch of the shielding off each end of the wires. Wrap the unshielded end of each wire around the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Now wrap the battery with the electrical tape so that the wires are held firmly in place around the battery terminals. You should now have a speaker tester. Hold one of the wire ends to one of the speaker terminals (doesn't matter which one) and then tap the other wire onto the other terminal. The speaker should make a sound like a "pop" when you touch the second wire to the second terminal. If it doesn't make a sound, the problem lies within the speaker... again, it'll either be a broken circuit or a toasted voice coil. If it does "pop", then the speakers are fine and the problems lies in the cars audio system or in the installation of the speaker.

Hope this makes sense and I hope it helps! (Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for anything, unless this helps you, in which case I am completely responsible )

Quick Reply: Why don't speakers work?