Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

stock head unit question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:36 PM
mwkellner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock head unit question

I have the base, single CD head unit in my 08 Ram w/ 4 speakers. I would like to upgrade the speakers while keeping the factory head unit. To help me pick the best speakers I would like to know how many watts the factory head unit puts out continuously. I have searched the web and can't find anything about it, but SOMEONE has to know. Thanks -- Martin

Old 10-10-2008, 05:23 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mwkellner
I have the base, single CD head unit in my 08 Ram w/ 4 speakers. I would like to upgrade the speakers while keeping the factory head unit. To help me pick the best speakers I would like to know how many watts the factory head unit puts out continuously. I have searched the web and can't find anything about it, but SOMEONE has to know. Thanks -- Martin
I really dont have a def. answer...prolly between 10-14 watts rms.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

aftermarket speakers won't sound good with the factory head unit unless you buy inline cleaners which cost almost as much as buying a nice double din dvd player. (you can pick-up a bezel that fits it..the navigation truck bexels work) I wanted to retain my factory head unit as well, but for only $100 more, and a whole lot less work, I can get a nice dvd/navigation unit that's double di sized. Uhhh, I cannot wait. eeeekkk. I'm excited.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Ben D.
Champion

yea 10-14 watts rms and that's being kind. if you have the base factory deck why not upgrade that.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:34 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ben D.
yea 10-14 watts rms and that's being kind. if you have the base factory deck why not upgrade that.
Ya know what...your rite. I would say 10rms max

Old 11-17-2008, 10:17 AM
eharri3
Default You're limited

Too probably a really sensitive set of coaxials. Most of the better speakers need more power than a HU can suppy. At one point I had an older AFTERMARKET HU sending power to exlipse coaxials in front that take 80 watts and In finity reference rears that take about 45. Everything was fine until I cranked it, at which point woofers popped and they distorted something aweful. A combination of lack of control over how much bass you can filter out of them and low power will limit your undistorted volume unless you pick really sensitive speakers (that get loud without much power) and keep the bass low.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:37 PM
WorldWideStereo

mwkellner- The stock radio hovers between 8-10 watts RMS. While that is enough to power some coaxial speakers, your speakers (the new ones) would sound a lot better if you replaced the head unit. You don't have to do something expensive. Kenwood and Alpine both offer solid radios that start around $200 (USD).

Like dirtydog said, you CAN implement a nice double-din monitor (as long as you purchase the bezel kit from Dodge - you need the one that comes with factory navigation radios) if you wanted something a little nicer looking w/ a larger display.

Keep in mind that if you replace the factory radio, you will need some special adapters because of the truck's CAN bus system. CAN stands for "Controller Area Network." Essentially, it is a computer system in the truck that connects the electronics together. Some people will tell you that it is impossible to replace the radio in the truck because of the CAN bus system, but a company called Peripheral makes an adapter called the "CHYAH05" that will allow you to put in any aftermarket radio. It allows the CAN bus system to remain intact AND gives you an accessory wire that is missing from the factory harness.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: stock head unit question