Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

$2,500.00 system

Old 02-14-2005, 11:16 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $2,500.00 system

i have a magnum r/t with the 6 speaker boston acoustic set up.
the mag's front speakers i believe are 6.5" and the rear speakers are 6x9"s along with 2 tweeters in the dash.
i have purchased 2 fosgate power 800 a2 along with 2 12" punch 2212 subs for $500.00.
i have another $2,500.00 maximum (scary) to complete my system.
i plan on getting the alpine iva 300 along with the alpine ipod interface. if all works well, i can get those 2 items for around $1,100.00.
that leaves me $1,400 for components, 6x9"s, a 4 channel amp (to power those speakers), and installation (including custom box for subs).
any suggestions on the components/6x9/amp?

Old 02-15-2005, 12:22 AM
P.B.
Rookie
Default RE: $2,500.00 system

check out sonicelectronix.com for some of the best prices i've ever found. I have done a crap load of buisness with them and have no complaints. Everything has the same waranty as the factory. I would strongly recomend a set of boston accoustic 6*9s if you already have a boston accoustics set up. I usually only mix match amps and speakers, but never 2 different brand speakers. All manufactures accousticly design there speakers to sound good wiith there own. I installed a set of 6 12" memphis subs and 5 component sets of memphis speakers in a GMC Jimmy powered by 4 Memphis D class amps. I think they were 1,500 watts stable @ 1/2 ohm. We installed two deep cycle batteries in the trunk. Controlled by the best Pioneer head unit available at the time. It was the best system I ever installed. Loud & clean. I will try to get a hold of some pictures to post. You couldn't breath in this truck. We lost the rear window. This thing moved so much air you could see the roof of the truck vibrate up and down a good 2-3 inches. NO LIE. This thing would screw with your nervous system and set off car alarms accrost a wal-mart parking lot with no problem.

Old 02-15-2005, 01:06 AM
chefboyrlee
Professional

hahaha, i wonder how a convertible mag would look like?
if i did something like ur set up i might just blow my roof off too.
have u heard anything about the JL ZR 650 their top of the line 6.5 components?
as for keeping the speakers the same brand, does it matter that mb quart's precision line makes only round components and there reference line (1 line down i guess) makes their 6x9"s.
i guess i'm asking should i mix different qualities of the same company?
or do u recommend that i keep to the same brand along with the same quality of speaker and
maybe try and fit another round component in the rear (i.e. 5.25" mb quart precision)?
as for the amp the 6.5 and 5.25 are rated from 60-130 watts and the reference 2-way 6x9"s are rated from 80-150 watts.
what do you recommend to power these speakers?
as for boston acoustics, the pro line is a bit too pricey...how is their next line down?

btw, i can find the 6.5 components on ebay for about 30 bux cheaper than on sonicelectronix.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:06 AM
P.B.
Rookie

Same brand different quality doesn't matter. Different brands is another story. Actually I found sonicelectronix on e-bay. I was looking for an aluminum cone audiobahn 12" sub (2,000 watts max), for my truck and there sale site popped up. I got the alum12q delivered to my house for 115$. Also it is ok to have a different brand sub than vocals. Mixing vocal brands and mixing sub brands sounds like crap. Unless it is like Rockford Fosgate and Depth Charger. Those are two brands manufactured by the same company with the same specs, just a different label. As far as powering all 6 vocal speakers, you will get the best equal sound if they are all powered and controled by the same amp. If you wanted to stick with all Fosgate amps they make a 6 channel. Punch 360.6 I think it is a little pricy though. Are the specs you listed rms or peak? I have a rule of thumb I follow when powering any speaker. Never more than 75% of rms and never less than minimum wattage requirement. This way you don't over or under power your speakers. All things aside, all you need are some quality amps, nice subs and clean highs and mids, whatever head unit you want thats alls you need for equiptment. Your more than 1/2 way there. After you install everything, before you power it up, set all your frequency levels on all of you amps , head unit, and component crossovers. Make sure they all fall in the specs of the speakers.Your good as gold.

The gmc with the 6 subs was an install I did. It wasn't mine. It was setup for show and competition, not a daily driver. It won 19 SPL (Sound Pressure Level) soundoff competitions in one year. You gotta see it. I will try to locate some picts.

Old 02-15-2005, 09:35 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional

ORIGINAL: P.B.

Also it is ok to have a different brand sub than vocals. Mixing vocal brands and mixing sub brands sounds like crap.
i'm confused? in your opinion its ok to mix sub brand with a different vocal speaker brand?

Old 02-15-2005, 11:04 PM
P.B.
Rookie

Yes absolutly. I should have stated that initialy. Subs are at the completly opposite end of the frequency line. Bass works against vocals. Therefore it doesn't matter if you have a different sub brand than your vocals. If you have ever been in a car with subs and stock vocals, you will notice when the bass hits, the vocals are flooded out. This is not do to the bass being loud. It is due to interference. Bass is the displacement and distortion of air. What you don't want is for you vocals to cancel eachothers frequencies. This is a really hard concept to grasp. I didn't fully understand how this worked until I saw the results of frequency interfierence on a graphed readout. A good way to understand this: find a (international auto sound competition association) IASCA Frequency Track. This music track will sweep the whole bass frequency wave. There is a point in the sweep that you can not hear the bass, but if someone was to talk during this portion of the sweep there voice would be completely distorted. Don't listen to this track with any stereo cranked unless you are sure that all of you crossovers are falling in range with the factory specs of the speakers. I like to call this track the woofer cooker. Pretty much when a sub is displacing air, it will distort the frequencies of your vocals. A lot of people believe that it is the human ear which distorts the way you hear this, but it has been graphed through a freguency processor and a microphone. I tried to explain this. How did I do? Let me know if you are completly confused.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:44 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional

i think i understand what you are saying...the subs soundwaves/movement of the air in the car...can distort the soud waves produced by the mid/high speakers? so how do i prevent this form happening? also u said that i dont want my mid/high's frequencies "cancelling" each other out? how do u prevent all this happening? tuning the system?

Old 02-16-2005, 12:13 AM
P.B.
Rookie

There is no way of stopping bass from distorting the frequencies from your vocals. That is the nature of bass. You can adjust the frequencies on your sub crossover to make the sub hit at a higher frequency. You don't really notice the effects of bass until you turn it off. For instance if you were listning to a stereo real loud and then you shut down your sub off it will appear that the vocals got much louder. In reality they didn't. They are just not being distorted without the bass. For your 12" punches I would set the crossover between 35-50 HZ. Use all the same brand vocals and tune there crossovers to there specs than you will have no problem with this. I am going to locate a copy of the iasca frequency drop track. I will upload it so you can have a copy. You'll love it.

Old 02-17-2005, 05:47 AM
ngsm13

ORIGINAL: P.B.

There is no way of stopping bass from distorting the frequencies from your vocals. That is the nature of bass. You can adjust the frequencies on your sub crossover to make the sub hit at a higher frequency. You don't really notice the effects of bass until you turn it off. For instance if you were listning to a stereo real loud and then you shut down your sub off it will appear that the vocals got much louder. In reality they didn't. They are just not being distorted without the bass. For your 12" punches I would set the crossover between 35-50 HZ. Use all the same brand vocals and tune there crossovers to there specs than you will have no problem with this. I am going to locate a copy of the iasca frequency drop track. I will upload it so you can have a copy. You'll love it.
That is way too low a crossover setting. I'd use them at like 60-80hz Lowpass.

Come to www.caraudio.com if you want some real help! My username is the same there...we'll get you going right! You can have A LOT better than what has been recommended in this thread...especially for $2500. peace

NG

Old 02-17-2005, 07:49 PM
P.B.
Rookie

Here are the specs right from the factory for the speaker you have. I don't know who the @$$ is trying to ***** up my post to make it look like I don't know what I am talking about. Of all the things I posted he is crapping on a spec. Why is he saying that the frequency I posted is way too low? Here is the factory specs and my suggustion falls in between there min. & max. rating. You are going to want to hit @ a lower frequency to get a strong vibration instead of your sub punching real hard and displacing tons of air at once like a higher frequency.

Buy Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 RFD-2212 12 Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer

Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 RFD-2212 12 Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer
Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 RFD-2212 12 Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer Features

* Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 RFD-2212 12 Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer
* Dual 4-ohm voice coils
* CONsealer gasket hides mounting screws and prevents air leaks around the frame
* Frequency response 26-200 Hz
* Power range 150-500 watts RMS (250 watts per voice coil)
* Peak power 1,000 watts
* Sensitivity 88 dB SPL
* Top mount depth 5-13/16
* Sealed box volume 0.8-4.0 cubic feet
* Ported box volume 1.75-4.0 cubic feet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $2,500.00 system