Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

DVD headunit w/flipdown for the rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 AM
Justin_98Durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD headunit w/flipdown for the rear

Any pros cons of running a DVD headunit to a flipdown monitor as opposed to just running a self contained flipdown? I have a Chrysler T&C and Durango that i would be doing this to, maybe just one for now, but eventually both will have a similar setup. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated on this!

Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
audioaddict
Professional

Only real down side is that if you're playing a DVD through an in-dah unti, the audio for the DVD is going through the speakers and speakers only. You generally don't have an option to stream audio through IR to a set of headphones. So you have to listen to what the kids are listening to and compete with the noise. Ones with a built in DVD player leave the option for headphone or speaker audio, as well as freeing up the in-dash for playing a CD, ipod, radio, etc.

As far as recomendations, don't drill through the roof, it's a bad idea. Seriously though, whenever I do overhead mobile videos, I pull the entire headliner out and do the wiring and make a mount for it, replace the headliner, and then finish the install. It's not for the faint of heart, a liner-out install generally takes a 5-8 hours depending on the vehicle.

There are faster ways to do it, but its not recomended for the beginner or even the intermediate installer.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Justin_98Durango

What are the price ranges for a decent flip down with wireless headphones? And what do the installation prices run either way? I'm from SE Ohio bout 1.5 hrs from Columbus.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:29 AM
audioaddict
Professional

I normally charge between $200-300 for a flip down DVD install, and you can pick up a nice overhead for between $500-800, depending on what you're looking for and whether or not you go with a name brand or not.

Quick Reply: DVD headunit w/flipdown for the rear