Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Looking for car audio expert answers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:09 AM
JMB3384
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for car audio expert answers!

I searched the forum for answers to my questions but didn't find what I was looking for so I am sorry if I double posted similar questions.

Anyways... I am looking to upgrade my complete stereo system and here is what I'm planning on:

Alpine Head Unit
Alpine Components
JL Audio 500/1 Mono block class D amp
Either 2- 12" or 10" JL Audio w3v3 subwoofers
Going to custom build my own fiberglass box for under the back seat
Power Cap

My questions are about the the subs and amp. Those of you that have a familiar setup, I want to know these questions:

1. What ohm subs should I buy, 2 ohm DVC's or 4 ohm DVC's with the JL 500/1 mono block amp?
2. Do I wire them in series or parallel?
3. From your experiences with the under seat boxes what would I be better off with, the 2 -12" subs or 2 -10" subs. I listen to a variety of music if that matters. I do like harder hitting bass tunes but I'm more concerned with airspace and having it close to specs for the best sound I can get.

Let me know what you guys think and thanks in advance!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

12s will be better than 10s IMO. I have had both and still have 12s. As for the amp, i am assuming you are talking about the JL Audio J2 500.1 amp which is rated at 500x1 @ 2ohms. That means you subs should be either SVC subs at 4 ohms each or get DVC subs at 2ohms each. Either way will get you at a 2ohm load on a mono channel amp.

If you do SVC 4ohm coils then wire them both in parallel to get 2ohm

If you do DVC 2ohm subs, then take each sub and wires its own coils in parallel to make it 1ohm and then take each sub and wire in series to get 2ohm load.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:05 PM
JMB3384
Professional

I was actually talking about the JL Audio Slash 500/1v2 amp. It looks like the same amp I used to have but a newer model of it. That thing worked fantastic. I really appreciate your help because when it comes to that part I wasn't quite sure. I will probably go with the 2 ohm DVC subs, I don't want SVC subs.

This is the amp I was talking about: (class D monoblock amp)
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=439

When I actually get this stuff I will have to ask you about all the amp settings too lol. I used to have 2 10" w3's in my 2003 Ram 2500 but the box was terrible and I ended up selling the subs and box together. I went with a Solo Baric 12" L7 instead. I want it clean this time to where its stuffed away somewhere like under the back seat. I have always loved 12" subs but I thought 10"s might be a better choice with the space I had to work with. But if you say the 12"s will be ok I might just go that route! Either way thanks again for your input

Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 AM
zierbox
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The number ONE factor in Bass is Space
Big space equals big Bass
Small space equals small Bass
And that just Science

Smaller and/or fewer subwoofers Outperforms Larger and/or More subwoofers done Wrong

The available space under the seat of the Ram Trucks is very limited
Not enough space for 12” subs, the space is even small for good performance from 10” subs

The second situation; subwoofers are Not a near field type speakers
Subwoofers require distance between the speaker and the listener to develop the Bass frequency properly
The distance from under the rear seat to your head in the front seats is only about three feet

Last edited by zierbox; 01-23-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:43 PM
JMB3384
Professional

That is true! I have been in cars, SUV's and standard cab strucks with systems. I used to have 2 12" JL w3's in a standard cab Ram and I made it sound excellent though. I know everyone has a different opinion on what sounds good and what doesn't. It was very clear and loud in a box I built to specs. I want to go with 12" in this truck but I will probably stick with 10"s now that I think about it. 1 10" or 12" just isn't enough for my taste. The reason why many people go with JL Audio is because they don't require much air space. Well compared to most other subs at least. Thanks for your knowledge though zierbox!

Quick Reply: Looking for car audio expert answers!