Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

aftermarket radio won't turn off ?

Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 AM
baller95
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same problem in my 2005 Grand Caravan ! I just installed a new Sony headunit today and it wont turn off no matter what, read my post of this section for more info!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Dent6
Default Jeep after market radio won't turn off

This happened to me also, after my son and i put in a new battery in his 2007 Grand Cherokee Jeep, I did as Madcrackeroo said and just pluged up the old factery radio and the recycled the door opening and the factory radio shut off then re-pluged up the alpine and all was back to normal. I guess it just resets the computer somehow. Thanks for the help
Originally Posted by MADCRACKER00
I know what the problem is here but I do NOT know how to fix it... other than running a new KEY control wire from the fusebox. BUT the problem is DODGE GAY A$$ security features. NOW COME ON WHO THE H&LL WANTS TO STEAL A FACTORY RADIO? COME ON PEOPLE!!!

I found this out the hard way. installed an Alpine into my Mother-In-Law's dodge 1500 ram and had the same issue. rehooked the orig radio back in
and I navigated to SHUTDOWN radio Security... AHHHHH

then installed the Alpine.. IT WORKED
shuts off with the key etc.. nice

6 months later she has a new battery installed.. the radio DOES IT AGAIN
the security re-enabled. it will NOT shut off with the key

I contacted PAC PARTS and no one has emailed me back

so the solution is.. RUN A NEW WIRE from the fuse box to the RED WIRE of your radio harness. be sure it is a keyed fuse you jump off of

Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
I know this thread is a little dated, but just in case someone comes searching for this information...
Most of the CANBUS adapters must be initialized before first use, and after power is lost (battery goes dead, is disconnected, etc).
An excerpt from the instructions for the Axxess unit I used in my truck:

Originally Posted by Axxess manual
INITIALIZE THE XSVI INTERFACE BEFORE TURNING ON RADIO: With all connections made and harnesses connected to the vehicle, turn ignition key to the ON position for thirty seconds, then turn key off.
This procedure MUST be done first thing after power is restored to the vehicle, or your radio will stay powered on even after you turn your vehicle off.
I disconnected my battery to "reset" the truck's computer, then performed this initialization, and everything worked perfectly.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM
checkster

I cant get my dapter to work. Do we plug in everything including the new headunit and turn the key on to initialize it. or just plug in the canbus adapter and not the new headunit, initialize it for 30 seconds and then plug in the radio? darn im confused and my new radio wont work..........what a buzz kill.

thanks,
tom

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
I know this thread is a little dated, but just in case someone comes searching for this information...
Most of the CANBUS adapters must be initialized before first use, and after power is lost (battery goes dead, is disconnected, etc).
An excerpt from the instructions for the Axxess unit I used in my truck:

This procedure MUST be done first thing after power is restored to the vehicle, or your radio will stay powered on even after you turn your vehicle off.
I disconnected my battery to "reset" the truck's computer, then performed this initialization, and everything worked perfectly.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Return of the necrothread...LoL

In general, you'll plug everything in and then initialize the unit. It may work without the radio plugged in. I don't know, never tried that. If your radio will not turn ON however, you have a different issue altogether, and I would recommend starting a new thread so we can help you out.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:14 AM
NHRA21
Smile Necrothread

Brandon - Thanks for the post! Solved my issue! The only difference is I had to remove the face plate on my radio to stop it from powering up when I connected the battery.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:17 PM
Sandrab7

Alright I know that this is an old forum but I am really struggling with my stereo staying on. I even struggled before getting it installed, on installing it, because it wouldn't turn on at first. I'm not sure what to do, but my 2008 nitro is currently dead. Like I had to manually unlock it. Idk what to do and I'm about done with this vehicle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: aftermarket radio won't turn off ?