Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Simple Radio Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM
rbrumm
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Radio Question?

Don't yell at me yet, i did research older posts and have a question.

I have an 02 with the factory Infinity system and am thinking about installing an aftermarket head unit. I know I will probably get many opinions but is it possible to swap out the head unit and install an aftermarket unit and still get decent sound. I am not disappointed with how it sounds at all (other than one rear speaker does not work.) I would like to use my Ipod and possibly hook up a unit with the optional rear camera display. (This would require a DVD unit so it is not that important..yet)

Anyway, is it possible to match the new head unit to the old system and get the same or better sound? Not looking at spending a ton of money...less than $400 if possible. (I know its not alot of money but funds are tight and I'm not as young as I used to be so don't need it to pound my tailgate till it opens.)

Thanks

Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 AM
RamTracks02

I am in the same boat as you are. I dont want to spend alot of money, but i would also like some input. I need to replace my 6x9's in the door. The problem with our infinity systems is that it seems you need to replace everything if you are replacing one thing. So anyone out there with a SIMPLE audio setup please do tell. Head Unit and 4 speakers would be good for me. I think this involves bypassing the factory amp but im not sure how all those front speakers are wired PAST the amp. If you bypass the amp with an adaptor harness do you have to do anything to use just the door speakers and not the dash speakers? Sorry to hijack your thread but these are all concerns for someone trying to upgrade the factory infinity system.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

rbrumm - yes toy can install an after market HU in place of the OEM Infinity HU (which does suck). You can do a single DIN or if your budget is 400 or less I can help you find a double DIN HU that is full touch screen and more options. I make the bezels for the doudle DIN head units so if you are interested please LMK. You can get the bypass kit for the Infinity amp as well.

RamTracks02 - if you want a newer HU and 4 speakers (which is almost what i have + amps) then you can easily replace the HU and door speakers and run new wire from the HU to the doors. It is that simple. You would not need a full bypass harness but only need to tap power and ground from the existing harness. That can be done with t-taps. You could do a HU, 14-16ga wire and 4 door speakers for likely 200 +/- from the right places.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:56 AM
RamTracks02

Thats what i thought... go old school and run all the speaker wires. I'm just so accustomed to plugging in a harness and being good to go! Stupid infinity...

Old 10-28-2010, 01:14 PM
rbrumm
Veteran

Weed- are you saying that it wouldn't be a good idea to use the existing amp? Or is it not possible. Will the dash tweeters still be able to be used? Do you have any examples (pics) and costs for the bezel you make?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:57 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The OEM speakers are designed to run certain freq. You can run an after market HU and amp to the after market speakers. You can run an after market HU to the OEM amp and OEM speakers

Old 10-30-2010, 09:37 AM
jose13b
Veteran

thats what i did

Old 10-30-2010, 09:45 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrumm
Weed- are you saying that it wouldn't be a good idea to use the existing amp? Or is it not possible. Will the dash tweeters still be able to be used? Do you have any examples (pics) and costs for the bezel you make?

Get your Headunit you like and buy the wire connectors. Plug it in and call it a day. Just don't expect your speakers to sound any better than they do right now! Since you have Infinity sound, I'd reccomend buying the canbus connectors as they provide a power source and are plug'n'play. You will be pulling your hair if you decide to get the basic connectors and try to wire it yourself.
Only suggestion i do have is to NOT use the provided ground wire but instead drill a hole in the round support beam behind the radio and attach your new HU ground to that. Stock ground is likely to cause ground loop noises for the amount of current an aftermarket HU draws.

Originally Posted by jose13b
that's what i did
What is what you did? Aftermarket speaker wires and amps or stock connectors with stock amps??? Not sure since there has been talk about both ways!

Running new speaker wires is very difficult through the door harnesses. They are molex connectors and are not easily penetrated since they are pre-molded plastic connectors for ease of removing the door. All the access pins were taken up on my doors, so it's def not an easy task! I used factory wires for ease although it's not what I prefer.

Last edited by dirtydog; 10-30-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:59 PM
pshea08

I recently put an after market radio in my truck also. I have an Infinity Sound System. I did a little research and just hooked the AMP ON from the wireing harness to the POWER ANTENNA from the head unit. Amp turns on and all speakers sound good. From what I found, The amp goes trough the computer. Kinda a messed up setup in my truck. Head unit cost me 100$, Got mounting bracket, wiring harness and antenna extension for 15$ on amazon.

Last edited by pshea08; 10-31-2010 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Typo hell... and I cant spell for **** anyways!
Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 AM
outcast
Professional

i have the steering wheel controls and if i put in a aftermarket HU will i lose them i really like them. But i want to put subs in and i need the rca from the aftermaket HU do they make a harness so the controls will still work our am i SOL.

Quick Reply: Simple Radio Question?