Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Wiring Sub and amp, Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:26 AM
02Rango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Sub and amp, Please Help!!

Ok, sorry for the long post but here goes, so i recently came across a sony 12" sub, box and amp that im trying to wire up in my 03 durango R/t into the stock infinity system. First off, im very mechanically proficient, but relativly clueless when it comes to wiring, so please bear with me. Hopefully I can get this done this week, as im sure thousands have be4, so ill be posting in this thread.

Done a little research, here's what i think i know...

The infinity head unit doesnt have RCA outputs, so im going to have to splice a RCA converter into one of the FRONT speakers (apparently the rear ones are easier to access but have some sort of filter on the signal that makes it no good to use) (also read the signal might be to strong for an RCA signal, do i have to buy a high level to low level converter??)

Taking off the head unit is a pita in this car, here are some instructions i found, apparently im taking off the whole dash
http://www.ehow.com/how_6157323_remo...e-durango.html

Im going to need some sort of wiring diagram to figure this out, heres what i found http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...&KW=KarTuneMan

Going to attach the amp turn on wire (forgot what thats called) to the head unit or infinity amp (dont even know where thats located) power/turn on wire

And my last problem for now, routing. How do i route the power for the amp through the firewall. How should i route the rest of the wires through the car?? I going to have to put the sub all the way in the back of the car

Im sure alot of this prob sounds retarded, and there prob alot im leaving out that im guna get hung up on, but please help me out!!!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Taking the bezel off from around the HU is not as hard as it sounds.

As for finding or getting a remote turn on wire, get your meter out and test for the switched 12v power wire from the HU to the Infinity amp. Then you can tap in to that and run a wire off of that and onto the after market amp you are going to use for your sub.

As for routing of the wires, run the RCA wires down the passengers side. The amps power wire from the batter needs to go through a spare grommet in the firewall, behind the drivers side kick panel, under the door sill and where ever you are mounting the amp. It could be under the seat or in the back somewhere. IDK what amp or size it is so IDK where you are planning on putting it. Also run the remote wire along with the amps power wire on the drivers side.

The12volt.com is an excellent place to get wiring colors, sizes and locations from.

If you are in the market for a sub(s) and amp(s) then LMK. I might be able to help.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:17 AM
02Rango

ok, so i picked up some wires from a guy today and a sodering kit off my buddy. All i need now is my RCA converter and im ready to start. Couple more Q's for now

Do i wire my RCA converter into the front speaker line before or after the stock amp?

Where is the stock infinity amp?

Old 11-03-2010, 08:02 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Usually before the amp because after the amp is a filter freq signal. As for where the amp is, IDK on a Durango. On our Rams it is behind the glove box so you may want to check there or any rear panels or kick panels at the rear of the ride

Old 11-08-2010, 12:45 AM
02Rango

turns out i needed the hi output from after the amp, and it was in the passengers kick panel.

So i wired it up and the whole situation was ALOT easier than i thought. I guess in the past i never put much thought or research into wiring simpler stuff and thats why i always seem to screw it up.

Anyway, weedahoe thank you for the info, youve been most helpful

Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Glad to hear you got it all wired up and running

Quick Reply: Wiring Sub and amp, Please Help!!