Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Stereo Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Reimche
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Ideas

I have an 06 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab.
I have a fiberglass sub box for a 10" sub to fit under my rear driver side seat, and an amp to run it obviously. The part I can't get a decent answer about is what the best way to get a signal to the amp is.
I know the stock deck doesn't have RCA outputs, and I don't really want to put in an aftermarket deck. One option is to put a low level input converter from the speakers to the amp, but from what I have been told the main volume will change the input to the amp, so not the greatest of ideas. So far the only options I am aware of are to put in an aftermarket deck with RCA's, or do a input converter from the speakers but not get a proper signal.

Are there any other ideas that I am not aware of?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I have all the equipment to do the install just have to figure out the best way before I can get started!

Old 11-13-2010, 12:34 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The newer amps have a hi level input with a harness that taps into your rear left and right speakers.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:39 AM
freestyledude
Captain

problem with using the stock deck (or so I've heard) is that the deck turns down the bass as you turn up the volume to save the speakers, so your sub stays the same volume as your speakers get louder

Old 11-13-2010, 04:24 AM
rickof08
Veteran

I use a line out converter on my stock deck and have no problems. As I turn the volume up the bass goes up. The stock radio bass control does a great job controlling the bass output.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:11 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

There are line-out converters that have bass restoration and signal processing all built into one. MTX REQ is one at a great price. Th JL Cleansweep is a bit pricey IMO.

The problem with a basic line-out converter is sure you retain the bass output, but it's a crappy signal and produces sloppy not so good sounding bass. It's a poor signal and although you may think it sounds good, until you compare one to the next you would be amazed. Plus, your sub is generating lots of unnecessary heat when it's driven by the OEM signal.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Reimche

Have been into two different car audio shops in town and they gave me two completely different answers, so not sure what to think now.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:17 PM
freestyledude
Captain

I put in an alpine deck on sale for $100 into my truck, and just with stock speakers it sounds WAAYYY better. Ipod hookup and whatever too.

I know you said you didn't want a new deck, only reason I say this is that I didn't either and I'm glad I let my friend convince me to buy one

Last edited by freestyledude; 11-15-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Stereo Ideas