Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Double Din Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:23 PM
kramer04hemi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ben, So i am a little more confused then before, i elminated the blue wire from the kenwood harness and hooked up the blue/white to the blue wire coming off the harness, however i am still not getting any sound out of it, i rechecked the connections and everything appears to be OK, the unit powers up just fine but there is no sound... anything else that i could be missing? i have done plenty of stereo installs in the past and i guess non of them have been this complicated or difficult? is there a better harness i should be using? other then the "ebay" one? i hope i do not actually need that metra harness... and i really do not want to pay and install shop to do it as it should not be this complicated.. :-)

Old 04-24-2011, 11:33 PM
kramer04hemi
Amateur

And i was just reading something about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Metra...fAudioQ5fVideo

that according to crutchfield:

Installation Details for your 2004 Ram1500

» Your vehicle has no accessory power lead at the receiver. The integration adapter provides the accessory power you will need for your new receiver.
Metra CHTO-02 $159.99

but wouln't that power control wire be the lead i would need to make that 12v accessory power connection?

Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Ben D.
Champion

you did plug those rca's in right?

check your vin#.. tenth digit indicates the year.. if you by chance have a 2005 truck instead.. or a late model 2004 that has the infinity system that was put in the 05-up trucks then that would be the issue.

So it's one of a few possibilities are here's how i'd check it..

1) you didn't plug in the RCA's therefore no signal for the amp
2) make sure using a DMM that the amp turn on wire (blue from the chrysler harness you bought) is getting 12V with the radio on.

If still no 12v then it's an issue with the kenwood radio..

3) if all else checks out.. cut the RCA's off of the ends of that harness and wire it into the speaker leads from the kenwood deck... could be that the infinity system doesn't like seeing low level inputs... very rare but I guess it's possible

4) if that still doesn't work.. then you happen to have a newer style of infinity system that uses the can system to turn on the factory amplifier... which would suck because that means you need to purchase the CHT002 b or whatever part number it is... which is expensive..

although I've never seen a 2004 that had it that way.

crutchfield is somewhat wrong with that information... that applies to 06-up trucks there is no acc wire behind the radio which would cause you to have a deck that doesn't power up..

also.. disconnect that orange illumination wire just in case.. I have in a few rare scenarios.. (usually with ****ty double dins not a nice one like that) but I have seen a labeled illumination wire actually act as a dimmer ground causing odd issues such as no audio... that's really all I can think of.. I hope it's something simple but if not you're gonna need that metra harness... you might just be unlucky and have the newer infinity system.

Last edited by Ben D.; 04-25-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:53 PM
kramer04hemi
Amateur

Hey Ben,
yeah i did plug the RCA's in,

Ill check those out tonight and see what i can come up with, here is the VIN
1D7HU18D34S711034 - looks like its an 04 not sure if its a late model or not,

Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Ben D.
Champion

yea that's a 2004.. um just for fun plug in the factory radio see if you get audio..

Old 04-25-2011, 04:02 PM
kramer04hemi
Amateur

Yeah the cool this about that is i actually already sold the factory radio it was the 6 disc changer.. ha.. but ill try unhooking the orange wire and see what happens, i have a feeling I am one of the lucky ones who are going to need that metra harness.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Ben D.
Champion

it's starting to look that way.. verify with a multimeter that the blue/white wire that's connected into teh blue one is getting 12v when the deck is on..

also look for blown fuses pertaining to audio.. You may have cooked a fuse on the factory amplifier.. idk where the fuse would be.. either under the hood or in the truck but either way that might be the issue.

that really sucks if you need the harness but what can ya do. It'd be the first 2004 I've ever seen that needed it.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:53 PM
kramer04hemi
Amateur

I have confirmed I need that harness I took it to one of the local shops and a company named pac audio had what I need and its about 80 bucks but already I know I'll post the pictures after it's done.. Iut madi already be available but this could be used as a tutorial if the mods see fit

Old 04-25-2011, 08:55 PM
kramer04hemi
Amateur

Good thing for auto correct sorry for the mis spellings

Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Ben D.
Champion

well at least you got it for a better price than 150.. Must be a late model 04 because we had a 04 in the shop a few weeks ago and worked like a charm but most 05-up do need that harness.. Win some you lose some, even metra's own fitguide doesn't show that harness as a requirement lol

Last edited by Ben D.; 04-25-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Double Din Install