Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

AM Radio Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:12 PM
LadyRam2010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM Radio Issues

Yes, I admit, I listen to AM radio well I try to. I bought my truck in Nov, 2010 ~ a Ram 1500. Radio seemed fine until spring when it started acting up but only on AM stations. Lots of noise and static until you put your foot on the brake, then it clears right up! The problem seems to have started about the same time they had to change my back-up camera but they said there is no connection to the two issues.

The local dealership tried everything to try to resolve the problem but they can't. They also indicated there's about 6 dodge rams in the area experiencing the same issue. They're now trying to convince us that it's a radio tower issue, not a truck issue. My response, if it's a radio issue, every vehicle would have the same problem but it's only a handful of dodge rams that are experiencing this problem.

Their $50,000+ solution ~ don't listen to AM. I won't even tell you the possible reasons they gave me that this could be happening because you would really wonder about their technical skills but it really is annoying and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue and if anyone has a solution to the problem. Thanks

Old 08-26-2011, 10:41 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LadyRam2010
Yes, I admit, I listen to AM radio well I try to. I bought my truck in Nov, 2010 ~ a Ram 1500. Radio seemed fine until spring when it started acting up but only on AM stations. Lots of noise and static until you put your foot on the brake, then it clears right up! The problem seems to have started about the same time they had to change my back-up camera but they said there is no connection to the two issues.

The local dealership tried everything to try to resolve the problem but they can't. They also indicated there's about 6 dodge rams in the area experiencing the same issue. They're now trying to convince us that it's a radio tower issue, not a truck issue. My response, if it's a radio issue, every vehicle would have the same problem but it's only a handful of dodge rams that are experiencing this problem.

Their $50,000+ solution ~ don't listen to AM. I won't even tell you the possible reasons they gave me that this could be happening because you would really wonder about their technical skills but it really is annoying and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue and if anyone has a solution to the problem. Thanks
LadyRam,

Sorry for your radio problem.

I have located a service bulletin that may pertain to your issue. One of the symptoms is radio frequency response and it also mentions back up camera. If the dealer cannot solve your issue you need to contact the Canadian Customer Assistance Centre at 800-465-2001 and they will get involved. TSB is listed below.

NUMBER: 08-028-10 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: November 02, 2010

SUBJECT:
RBZ Radio Software Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RBZ Radio.
MODELS:
**2010 (DJ) 2500 Pickup**
**2010 (DS) 1500 Pickup**
**2010 (DX) Regular Cab Chassis**
**2010 (D2) 3500 Pickup**
2010 (JC) Journey
2010 (JS) Avenger / Sebring
**2010 (KK) Liberty**
2010 (LC) Challenger
2010 (LX) 300 / Charger
2010 (MK) Compass / Patriot
2010 (PM) Caliber
2010 (RT) Caravan / Town & Country
2010 (WK) Grand Cherokee
**2010 (W2) Grand Cherokee**
2010 (XK) Commander
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built with an AM/FM/CD/DVD/HDD/MP3 Radio
(sales code RBZ).
NUMBER: 08-028-10 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: November 02, 2010
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
· The display may appear to be dimly lit when in backup camera mode (if equipped).
· Screen fonts to small or unclear.
· Video playback, display to bright.
· Audio playback, sound quality/frequency response could be improved.
· Hands free call information does not display caller ID.
· Bluetooth streaming audio information is incomplete.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 PM
KenCamp
Default Me too

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 relatively plain (no back up camera) that has the same issue on AM. The static is so bad you can barely tell which station it is on until you minutely depress the brake pedal and then it is as clear as a bell. The farther away from a station you are the worse it is. My confidence is low on any of the dealerships ability to solve the problem but next time I am in for an oil change I will see.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:37 PM
ram10
Amateur

any of you find a fix for the problem? I have the same issue with my 2010 dodge ram 1500.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:01 PM
sacwb
Angry possible solution

At Medved in Castle Rock Colorado - Paul - said he ran across this once before and it was a wiring harness issue. He said that the harness was replaced and all was well. However, after two or three months of trying to get him to order the harness, I gave up. So now Im calling around denver to see if anyone would even take this truck in. Pretty fed up at this point.

I believe that the noise issue is interferring with my company issued hands free kit for my cell phone. The company wants this fixed as the hands free kits is for safety, But I cant find any dodge place that wants to attempt it. They are perfectly happy telling me they have never heard of this before and sending me on my way.

BTW - I dont have a rear camera

the radio is AM, FM, CD, sirius type

any ideas or any service bulletins?

Last edited by sacwb; 01-23-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: add info to clarify that I dont have a camera

Quick Reply: AM Radio Issues