Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 02:33 AM
kaostik
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Speakers

i just went with the sony xplod 6 x 9 in the front and 6.5 2 way in the back, and it sounds awesome. its for sure not the best speaker arrangement to buy, but i paid $145 total for the four speakers and put em in myself, and, compared to stock, ther is no comparison. you can crank the dial as far as you can handle, it gets loud and stays clear, with the stock head unit, with decent bass, but if your looking for SERIOUS bass, you need to buy an amp and subs, dont look for total hammering from door speakers. but these are pretty good. the fronts, so easy to switch out. Once the door panel is removed, and the speakers are disconnected, just take the gray plastic part off of the old speaker and snap it on the new one, so it will sit right in the cavity. the backs, total nightmare. if you do it yourself, make sure to dynomat, or atleast duct tape the metal frame where the speaker will sit, or it will ground itself out and wont work. i found this out the hard way. its just a nightmare to get access to the damn things. i personally recommend, to save aggravation, get these done by pro's. the fronts can be done in about 20 minutes if you know what you're doing.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:06 PM
bullitt1229
Professional

So to install the rear speakers I need to dynomat? Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere on the internet on how to change the speakers and remove the door panels.

Old 04-29-2004, 03:30 AM
bullitt1229
Professional

Ok, these are the speakers I have decided to go with.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-w42roKo...asp?i=1086925I
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-w42roKo...08525I&g=51800
I heard these at Car Toys today and they just about blew me out of the store. They sounded AWESOME. I'm still getting mixed numbers as far as speaker size goes. Crutchfield says 6X9 front, 6.5 rear. Mobile One says the same thing. Car toys says 6X9 front, 5.25 rear. Infinity website says the same thing. So I don't know what to do. I'm going to order them off ebay and just want to make sure I order the right ones. My last question is that for the rears it says that a custom installation is needed. Does anyone know what this entails?

Old 05-01-2004, 02:19 PM
kaostik
Veteran

the rears i got for my setup were 6.5. they fit fine. i did the install myself, and i dont usually do speakers, so if you think you can do it, go right ahead. its a REAL pain getting to those speakers, which is why they might advise a prof. install. i got to them, but at a price, i messed up the back plastic interior a little, but since its in the back and you cant see it, i dont mind. just a warning, its a real, real pain. and use dynomat, yes. the speakers will ground themselves out if you do not completely cover the area the speakers will mount on, i used duct tape and it works fine.

good luck, and anymore questions that i might be able to help you with, post them here, or email me : solidstang@yahoo.com, im not a speaker pro at all, but since ive put mine in, i might be able to help you.

Quick Reply: Speakers