Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

New sound system.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Jdahlberg17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New sound system.

Hey everyone I just got an amp some subs and a new stereo. I was just wondering how do I install the amp and subs in my 1999 dodge Durango SLT? I know how to do the stereo but not so sure on the amp and subs? any help or instructions would be great!

Old 05-30-2013, 11:58 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are lots of different ways to hook up the subs to the amp depending on if they are dual voice coil or single and to what amp they are being hooked up. Same goes for the amp to the stereo. If you want step by step instructions we need to know the make and model of all your components, and possibly what kind of box the subs will be in.

Here's the basics.

Figure out where you will mount everything and then its time to wire it up.

To hook the amp up to the stereo you need a pair of RCA jacks and a remote wire. The remote wire is most likely blue or blue with a white stripe on the back of your stereo, that is what tells your amp that your stereo is on. And the RCA's get plugged in to the pre-outs on the back of the stereo , they should be labeled either subwoofer or rear. When you get that stuff hooked up to your stereo you can mount the stereo in the dash (but don't button everything up yet in case there is a problem and you need back there again).

Then you will need a good quality 4 gauge power wire from your battery to the amp (hook up the battery when everything is finished and it's time to test). And you will definitely need a fuse (probably around 50 amp) on your power wire as close to the battery as you can. Route the power wire through the firewall to your amp, don't go through the fender and in through the door, bad idea. Next you will need a 4 gauge ground wire from the amp to the closest ground point (any bolt that goes into a good solid piece of metal).

Now it's time to hook up the subs to the amp. Use good quality speaker wire, the gauge size should probably be around 10 depending on the wattage of the amp and subs. And how you wire them up depends on the amp and subs.

If you need more help let me know about the stereo, amp and subs.

Quick Reply: New sound system.