Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

New stereo

Old 06-16-2013, 09:10 PM
BAMF224
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New stereo

I am currently looking into installing a new head head unit in my 07 quad cab big horn without infinity. I have seen a few double DIN units on crutchfield but it always says doesn't fit. I was wondering if they will fit and or is there modifications that have to be made to make it work

Old 06-16-2013, 10:59 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been looking into doing this on my 05 without infinity, it can definitely be done, but with some modifications. You have to modify the bezel to fit the double din, add some brackets to secure the radio, then wire in a connector into the back of your new HU into the factory plug. Also, I think with the 07 you may have can-bus, which might cause some more issues, im not as familiar with that. Maybe someone else can chime in with more details for you. Also, another option for the 07 is to just buy the nav bezel (oem), or weedahoe will mod your for you for I believe a bit less than you can purchase an oem one for.

Hopefully this helps a little, someone else more familiar with the 07's will chime in im sure.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CAN-Bus won't cause any "issues" unless he uses the wrong harness.

He will need the CAN-BUS Adapter and he will have to follow the install instructions for those.

As for the D-DIN fitting correctly, yes he will need to cut the dash a little bit in order to make it fit properly, and he will need mounting brackets as well, but those can be fabbed up pretty easily if they don't come with the new stereo you are purchasing, so that might not be as much of a big deal....

Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 AM
kjclark1974

I bought the Navigation Bezel on Ebay from a Dodge dealer in Indiana. Cost me like $100. Got the double din Pioneer and the more expensive harness, which makes the radio stay on when you cut off the truck just like the factory radio did. While the cheap $6 harness will work, it won't work like the factory radio worked. So pay the money and get the more expensive harness. The install didn't have to cut the dash at all. He used the spacer kit recommended for installing the double-din radio into a truck with the navigation bezel. My best advice, go on Ebay and find the navigation bezel. Contact the seller and give them your truck's serial number to make sure you're getting the right color and have a professional install it. You will be glad you did. The install cost me like $40 in labor.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kjclark1974
I bought the Navigation Bezel on Ebay from a Dodge dealer in Indiana. Cost me like $100. Got the double din Pioneer and the more expensive harness, which makes the radio stay on when you cut off the truck just like the factory radio did. While the cheap $6 harness will work, it won't work like the factory radio worked. So pay the money and get the more expensive harness. The install didn't have to cut the dash at all. He used the spacer kit recommended for installing the double-din radio into a truck with the navigation bezel. My best advice, go on Ebay and find the navigation bezel. Contact the seller and give them your truck's serial number to make sure you're getting the right color and have a professional install it. You will be glad you did. The install cost me like $40 in labor.

I have bolded the reason you did not have to cut your dash at all...

That is the best way to get the job done, except not many people like to spend an extra $100-$150 on the bezel.. lol

Old 06-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

delete

Last edited by Gone Fishin; 06-18-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:29 AM
ewing111
Captain

sounds like you got a nice setup. Throw up a pic.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 AM
kjclark1974
Default Pioneer 2-DIN with Navigation Bezel

You can change the illumination or have it fade through all kinds of colors. The sound is incredible and having the USB drive is the only way to go. Ruined too many CD's thanks to bumpy dirt roads!!!!

Found the navigation bezel on E-bay for half of what my local dealer wanted. Bought the stereo from the local installer and paid him to put it all in for me, though, I could've done it myself. Total cost around $350 installed including the bezel. I could've gotten the one with a DVD player and touch screen, but thought it would be too distracting. Love the sound, love the look, blows away the factory stereo by far!

If you're going to change out the factory stereo to a 2-DIN model, then do it right. You'll be glad you did every time you get in your truck!

Attached Thumbnails New stereo-stereo.jpg  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:46 AM
kjclark1974
Default Forgot to Mention....

It bluetooth connects to my phone and I don't know if you can see it in the pic, but in that little compartment to the left-hand side is the microphone. Calls play out over the speakers and you can answer them hands free. When a call comes in, the radio flashes and annouces the caller / number. All you have to say is answer or reject. Great for road trips!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 AM
ewing111
Captain

looks nice, good setup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New stereo