Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

*** In Need of a Great High Output Alternator ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 06:54 AM
b_wood00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow *** In Need of a Great High Output Alternator ***

Hey my Dodge Forum Family,

I need a bit of you guys' help and input!!

Earlier this year, I installed a 4000 watt audio setup in my truck, and I've noticed I'm having some very serious voltage drop when playing some songs. Right now, I have the stock 136 amp alternator in my truck, and it does pretty good overall!!
Since I've had my setup playing tho, my LOWS amp has overheated and cut off twice. So if i'm not mistaken, those are two signs that I need a Higher Output Alternator.

My problem is, in doing quite a bit of research, im stuck trying to decide which high output alternator I should go with on my Dodge Ram. I mean, I need something that flows easy with the Dodge ECM, not causing any check engine lights to come on, and actually delivers the rated power as stated.

Mechman was my first choice, but I've read in customer reviews that bearings within the alternator are known to fail, and Mechman's customer service isn't worth the investment. Plus, the warranty is only two years, and even if you have a problem with your alternator within those two years, there's a good chance that Mechman won't cover it!!

I've also heard of this company called GP Car Audio that has only been out a few years. So, I'm not sure if this company has actually been out long enough to be considered "reputable." ...I do know they're PRICEY as h*ll, though!! lol

Singer Alternator is said to be an outstanding product, made very well with quality components, provides outstanding customer service, and carries a lifetime warranty!! Yet, I've heard Singer Alts are actually just re-stamped Mechman Alts.

Then there's DC Power and Excessive Amperage High Output Alternators!!

Now, all of my Dodge Forum Peeps, please understand that I know there are HATERS everywhere and of every product!! I also know that you get what you pay for, and I NEVER MIND paying for GREAT QUALITY, but I'm not just trying to throw my money away on only a "brand name" either!!
I really need to invest in a well put together unit, with very decent components, and in case I ever have a problem with the unit, I'll be in GREAT HANDS with the company!! On extra note, I'm sure you guys know that these high output alternators are running upwards of $400 in price, so this has to be a very careful purchase!! ...I never could imagine paying this much for an alternator in my life!! lol

So, if any of you can give me any advice, please give me your MOST HONEST opinion, and If you don't mind explaining why you feel how you feel, I'd GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!

Thanks In Advance, Family!!

Last edited by b_wood00; 10-28-2015 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: *** In Need of a Great High Output Alternator ***