Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

I need help! (Door Ajar Light)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:31 AM
JuggaloCujo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I need help! (Door Ajar Light)

I have a 1994 Dodge Ram Pickup RWD 5.2L Single Cab Laramie SLT

My wife bought me this for Christmas: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Car-Doo...NVgOoV&vxp=mtr

I want to install it with the courtesy light switch. That way when the door is open it will be on, when I shut the door it will be off.

I went through the painstaking process of pulling the panel, installing the new light, running wires through the rubber grommet between the door and the frame, and stripping the sticky coating from the wires leading to the door jamb switch.

There are 3 wires:

A Yellow wire (which test positive with a continuity tester)
A Black with an Orange stripe (tests negative)
and a Black with a Blue stripe (power flashes when pushing switch in and out on continuity tester)

I can't get this to work, at all. I am super frustrated with it.
I think the lack of sleep isn't helping.

I checked the wires on the roof mounted dome light to see if they are the same but there are only 2 wires. (One yellow, one pink)

I can ground me new LED door light anywhere I just need to tap into a positive line that gives power when the door opens, and cuts power when it closes.

What am I doing wrong? How does the switch work? I had assumed it worked like a toggle switch, cutting power when depressed, but now I am starting to doubt that theory.

I was thinking the yellow wire is a constant positive, the black/orange is the ground, and the black/blue is the output to the lights, but that doesn't seem to be so. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Also, I will be doing this same thing on the passenger side door and haven't looked at the wiring yet. Is it the same on the other side?
Thanks again.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:57 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Those switches actually break the ground. The positive is constant. The ground opens and closes with the switch. Reverse the wires.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:47 AM
JuggaloCujo

OMFG! Why in the **** did I not think of this last night? Damn sleep deprivation! Thank you so much! Of course they break the ground.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:14 PM
JuggaloCujo

O.k.... I don't understand why, but that didn't work. I was finally able to get a connector on each of the 2 wires for easy testing.

I tried everything. The only result I got that works is completely backwards. With the Positive line for the LED hooked up to the yellow and the negative line for the LED hooked up to the ground wire, the power comes on when the switch is depressed, but goes off when it is released.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201648551752?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by JuggaloCujo; 12-26-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:15 AM
JuggaloCujo

Anyone out there that can help me with a solution?