Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Factory stereo no sound,'99 Dakota.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 11:16 PM
Dean Parker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Factory stereo no sound,'99 Dakota.

Hi all, new to Dakota trucks, just bought a nice one owner 1999 SLT 4X4 extended cab with the 5.2 magnum and there is no sound from the stereo.
Everything appears to work, all lights are on ,radio shows stations picked up, CD player accepts discs and shows tracking.
It all seems right but turn the volume **** and nothing happens. I've Googled it and found others have had this problem and had to replace the head.
It's the rather large unit with the radio/cassette/CD all in one and a little joy stick to control speaker balance, from what I've found it came in many Chrysler products.
I see quite a few on eBay ranging from " just for parts" to remanufactured the latter quite expensive at around $250. Looks like a good used one that has had all functions tested will run anywhere from about $75 to $150. So before I pull the trigger on one my questions are am I missing something to check and are these units plug and play if I buy one? Some ads say something about some units needing to be " flashed" at a dealer. Am I better off just getting an aftermarket stereo? I'd hate to buy one and soon after have the same issue if these are an unreliable unit but if not I'd like to keep it stock. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Old 12-18-2017, 02:33 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Go aftermarket!

Old 12-18-2017, 08:26 PM
Dean Parker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Go aftermarket!
Thanks

Quick Reply: Factory stereo no sound,'99 Dakota.