97 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Need Help Bypassing Truck Battery and Wiring to 12v Battery - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Technical Help & Information > Audio/Visual Electronics
Reload this Page >

97 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Need Help Bypassing Truck Battery and Wiring to 12v Battery

Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

97 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Need Help Bypassing Truck Battery and Wiring to 12v Battery

Old 07-05-2018, 12:45 AM
AntoniatheHun
Default 97 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Need Help Bypassing Truck Battery and Wiring to 12v Battery

Warning: I am female, so prepared for long boring story ahead.<br /><br />I am a single Mom and had to start learning repairs on my own. [Fear not, I was taught how to change a tire before all this. Lol.]<br /><br />I bought my Dodge in February of 2017. The radio stopped working two days after I bought it. It was after market. It just went to static. I eventually got it playing but it would cut off whenever I would raise the volume. My truck eventually killed it.<br /><br />Now the fun part.<br /><br />I was given another after market radio, which was the same one as the first, but the illumination was a different color. I bought a new wiring harness and rewired the internal stuff. I was told to ground the wire to a screw in the dash. I did. The radio was working great! [Yay. Tunes.] But the next day, I noticed I was smelling burning metal (like what you smell when operating a soldering iron on a motherboard). I pulled over, took the dash trim out, removed the radio and it was white-hot, to the touch, where the antenna wire was plugged in. I also noticed my battery in my truck was slowly dying and died altogether. I found out my alternator was fried in addition to the battery.<br /><br />I installed the new alternator myself. [Yay. Girl power.] But this is after my truck sat for a month, broke down. I have not put a radio back in, since.<br /><br />The pros in my area who trouble shoot that sort of thing charge an arm and a leg just to look at it.<br /><br />Now I have bought a brand new radio, but I am scared to install it. I am waiting on stuff to come i the mail, like an antenna that can be installed anywhere, a teeny little amp, teeny little speakers with wiring, RCA cables, a 12v battery to use as a power cell, red/black/yellow wiring extensions, wiring nuts, disconnect battery connectors, a charger for the battery, and something else, I forgot.<br /><br />But my question is how do I bypass the battery in the truck without sacrificing the speakers? Also, where is a good route for grounding the battery to the chassis? That information appears to be nowhere online.<br /><br />Any info is appreciated.

Last edited by AntoniatheHun; 07-05-2018 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Type of Dodge
Old 07-05-2018, 07:26 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator

I can't even read that......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Need Help Bypassing Truck Battery and Wiring to 12v Battery

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: