Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Dodge Infinity stereo system??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 06:58 PM
GTCandGTSturbo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Infinity stereo system??

Originally Posted by bensonjv
What model of Inifintiy speakers come with the Infinity system? I planned on upgrading my speakers. The first stage was going to be adding Infinity Reference 6002si's in the doors. I want to make sure the Infinity stuff you get from the dealer is not the same as what I am about to buy.
</P>

They are reference speakers. I have a 6 speaker set of amped speakers for sale here: http://www.turbododge.com/showthread...p;threadid=407 53</P>

Old 01-04-2004, 10:21 PM
bensonjv

So they are pretty much the same thing. Is that good or
bad? Always assumed factory installed speakers were not as good
as after market. Should I go with something else?

Old 01-04-2004, 10:28 PM
GTCandGTSturbo
Veteran

Originally Posted by bensonjv
So they are pretty much the same thing. Is that good or bad? Always assumed factory installed speakers were not as good as after market. Should I go with something else?
</P>

i think they are different than what is installed at the factory, even though the name is the same. I would go with kappas</P>

Old 01-05-2004, 09:09 AM
spoildsport

if your intreasted i can get you audiobahn mid and high pretty cheap</P>

i can get 6.5" 3 way for 70.00</P>

3.5" 3 ways for 45.00</P>

6x9 3 ways for 100.00</P>

i have all of these in my pt and they are clear and sweet</P>

p.m. me if your intreasted</P>

Old 01-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Matrix
Rookie

Would just changing the speakers make any difference. I have the Infinity system also but would love better sounding speakers.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:23 AM
abefrohman71

Its not the speakers that are the problem. Its the deck they install. 200W BUILT IN(?????) amp. please. I think with a good deck and an amp that puts out CLEAN power, this system would be great with the included Infifnity (NOT Dodge factory) speakers.

Old 01-30-2004, 02:42 PM
tcterry

I have a 99 Dodge pickup that has infinity speakers in it. The 6x9" in the front left door dosn't work, Dodge wants $187.50 for this one speaker. Does anyone in this forum have a speaker like this they would be willing to sell, thanks, Tim

Old 09-13-2007, 03:42 PM
ledman70
Default RE: Dodge Infinity stereo system??

Just discovered this forum and found some interesting info. I have a 99 Dakota R/T extra cab that's on it's second Infinity stereo. The first one's volume control switch broke ( I assume you can't get this part),so I got one from Ebay a year ago, now it's starting to fade out. The installer from Bestbuy said it's probably the amp, but wasn't sure if it was in the deck or under the dash. He said to install an aftermarket system I'd have to rewire the speakers around the amp. What do you guys do? I'm a pretty good backyard mechanic, but I'd rather not get into gutting the inside of my truck to rewire things. I saw a post about wiring in something to bypass the amp...is this feasible? Thanks guys.
Jeff

Old 02-24-2010, 12:06 PM
caradiodoc

Hi abefrohman71,

I'm confused. How do you buy a seven year old truck and get charged that much for an audio system? Did you buy pieces from the dealer afterwards?

If so, you should be aware of the differences in the radios. The Infinity and non-Infinity radios are identical except for a few components in the output circuitry. Infinity radios put out much less bass. It is made up in the amp(s). If you use the non-Infinity radio with the amp under the seat, or little amps bolted to the speakers, you will have to turn the bass way down for it to sound normal. Infinity radios without the amps will sound tinny. Unlike some of the confusing older Ford and GM mix and match systems, all Chrysler radios put out speaker-level output. Any Chrysler radio will work in any car with any speaker combination, with or without an amp. That's not to say any combination will sound good. The amps do not increase volume. They are strictly for tone conditioning for the specific vehicle. Using the wrong speakers will adversely affect the sound too.

I repair and sell a lot of radios at the nation's second largest old car show swap meet. The Chrysler cd / cassette combo radio is by far my most popular unit for upgrades. They are built by Mitsubishi and are very high quality. The cd-only radio is built by Alpine. Both have a few issues related to automated manufacturing techniques. Once repaired, they're repaired for life. Very few people complain about the sound quality of these systems, but most owners are simply looking for a "utility" system that sounds pleasing. Perfectionists who are more concerned with building home system quality into their vehicles may not be pleased, but people who consider their cars as just basic transportation are usually happy.

I can't argue that oem systems are overpriced. The Infinity cassette system came as part of my '88 Grand Caravan and sounds very nice. (I am not a perfectionist). I ordered the Infinity cassette system as part of my '93 Dynasty. That system sounds fantastic. The car only has 4,000 miles, but sometimes I sit in it just to listen to the 6-disc changer I added. With all the package discounts my dealer gave me, the Infinity system didn't cost very much extra at the time. For less than an extra hundred bucks, I got ten speakers, the rare remote amp, and an upgraded radio. As proof these systems are designed for the specific vehicle, some of the newer cd players do not sound as nice in that car with those speakers.

I'm sorry you don't like your system. You might investigate further if the components are matched to each other and are meant for a truck.

caradiodoc

Old 02-24-2010, 12:18 PM
caradiodoc

Originally Posted by ledman70
Just discovered this forum and found some interesting info. I have a 99 Dakota R/T extra cab that's on it's second Infinity stereo. The first one's volume control switch broke ( I assume you can't get this part),so I got one from Ebay a year ago, now it's starting to fade out. The installer from Bestbuy said it's probably the amp, but wasn't sure if it was in the deck or under the dash. He said to install an aftermarket system I'd have to rewire the speakers around the amp. What do you guys do? I'm a pretty good backyard mechanic, but I'd rather not get into gutting the inside of my truck to rewire things. I saw a post about wiring in something to bypass the amp...is this feasible? Thanks guys.
Jeff
Not all installers are familiar with the Chrysler amps. When Ford and GM used amps, they were needed because there were no amps in the radio. You had to use the amp or you would barely be able to hear any sound at all. Using the regular radios with the factory amp resulted in severe distortion and too much volume. Some installers assume Chrysler amps are the same. I can't speak for sound quality, but as for volume, an aftermarket radio should work as long as you use the normal speaker wires, not the RCA outputs. The RCA outputs are meant to go to an amp that increases volume and power.

If you still need a volume control, I have a couple hundred parts radios on hand. The controls most commonly get smashed when the UPS basketball team drops them. (I bought over 200 eBay radios. 90 percent had problems the sellers weren't always aware of, and UPS smashed 17 out of 57 they brought me). If any of you guys need to ship a radio somewhere, use the Post Office. They're cheaper and they handle packages more carefully.

caradiodoc

Quick Reply: Dodge Infinity stereo system??