Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

SRT-4, two Kicker 12 L7s, Kicker ZR1000...Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 08:02 PM
trey2050
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT-4, two Kicker 12 L7s, Kicker ZR1000...Need some help

Oh here is the deal I have a 2004 Dodge Srt-4 and I have bought two 12inch Kicker L7s and I got an old school Kicker Zr1000 amp....I dont have enough power to push the amplifer so ever body tells me to get a better alternator but when I call they tell me that they do not make a high power alternator for my Srt-4....So how do I go about powering my amplifier?????

Old 05-03-2006, 08:29 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker
Default RE: SRT-4, two Kicker 12 L7s, Kicker ZR1000...Need some help

I have heard what people do is buy one of them Optima Batteries, I believe the Yellow Top because it has better capacitance. Might want to see if anyone else agrees with this or not.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:10 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

If you cant find one for your car whitch i think there should be, you can have someone make you some brackets to fit one. Yellow top is the battery I and many others like.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:51 AM
forbidden

I do not, in the course of my career as a installer / business owner, I have burned out more Optima batteries than I would care to admit. A good battery to consider is the Exide Orbital Purple Haze or a Kinetic. Here is a referral to my home site that should answer lots of the questions that you have.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=73496&PN=1

The above post details the big 3 electrical upgrade.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=49445&PN=1

The above post details what is a proper ground.

Make sure that you read both stickied topics as they will definitely put you on the right path.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:54 PM
JLTD

The source for all energy to move a speaker comes from the alternator. The amplifier takes the energy from the alternator and converts it to something useful to do work (move a speaker) so amplifiers cannot produce more average energy that the charging system has to give. Nothing changes this not matter how many or what color batteries are added. In fact, because extra batteries add additional loads to the alternator, they actually reduce the available voltage to the system.

The amplifer you have gets it's power rating from a very enthusiastic 14.4V input. Your charging system cannot maintain this level especially under load (this is why it's called "The 12 Volt Industry" not "The 14.4 Volt Industry). For every 2V input swing, there is going to be roughly a 30% output swing so in reality you have a 700 Watt amp, not a 1000 Watt amp.

If you are an abusive listener, you'll use 50% of the amplifier's power on average over time (with music). Assume a 50% efficiency and you have an average power over time of 700 Watts. Ohm's Law: Power / Voltage = Current (700 / 12.5 = 56 amps). The car will need 40 - 60 amps of current to operate so worse-case scenario you'll need 116 amps if there are not other amps involved.

Something elso to consider is the fact that this amplifier is a non-regulated design which means it will operate on whatever voltage is available. When input voltage sags, so will it's output voltage, but it will always work.

I am not sure how much of an ALT Dodge puts into it's vehicles, but you system will work regardles. How much output you'll get is dependent upon your profile as a listener and the supply voltage your charging system provides under load. I don't think that you will need a new alternator with this amp.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Troy_Audi0
Rookie

You can do 2 other things I can think of..
(If you need a larger alt)
#1 Find an alt shop - A place that works on Alts & that kinda stuff.. see if they can wined it for you hince make it larger..
#2 search Hioutput alts on ebay or Ohio Genorators.. I think it is..
Both make noce stuff.. not sure if they have what you looking for but you can give it a try..
A hioutput alt will rob your SRT of some power just so you know..
the motor will be working harder to turn that bad boy..
So keep that inmind.. do the math (Posted Above- Last Post) & get an alt right in that area..
peace Troy_Audi0

Old 05-05-2006, 05:34 AM
car_audio_god

www.mean-green.com
www.ohiogen.com
www.h-o-alternators.com

Or Iraggi. Search for it...

DO NOT get alterstart, or motor city reman... they suck.

But do the Big3, replace your stock battery with a deep cycle... these are first priority. Then if you still have problems... do the alternator.

Quick Reply: SRT-4, two Kicker 12 L7s, Kicker ZR1000...Need some help