Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
I use it
0%
I like it
14.29%
I dont use it
14.29%
i dont like it
14.29%
i like it and have it
14.29%
i dont like it and have it
0%
i dont like it and dont want it
42.86%
other, add in post.
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Surround Sound and who likes and/or uses it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 09:39 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surround Sound and who likes and/or uses it?

OK, I AM A SOUND ENGINEER (in trainging) AND WOULD LOVE TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW THAT...

SURROUND SOUND IS NOT THE BEST SOUND TO GET FROM YOUR VEHICLE OR ANYTHING ELSE IN THAT CASE.

Surround sound is only good if you are exactly in the center of ALL of your speakers. When you play surround in your car you have to turn up the volume more and more to hear it from the corners you cant hear it from. i.e.- driver cant hear back passenger and passenger speakers as well as drivers and behind drivers seat.

a system played in MONO or STEREO is the best thing to do. they are coming out with the 6.1 surround sound or something and think its super good. come on, listen carefully from all angles... THE MUSIC NEEDS TO BE CRANKED UP SUPER LOUD TO HEAR THAT ****. excuse my french

well, just what i learned in experimenting at home and in class. you dont have to follow this but it is just to let you know what surround sound is all about.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:45 PM
whiteram00
Captain
Default RE: Surround Sound and who likes and/or uses it?

all i need is 2 front door speakers an subs in the back

Old 12-23-2006, 11:06 PM
rappin_trashman
Professional

i agree...i only need front speakers and sub(s)...i dont care what kinda speakers you have for the rear-deck...its ****ty to me...im not about imaging...but even four speakers for mids and highs is to much for me...i guess thats why i need 100-150 watts rms for my highs...because i like it loud...but 75X4...its just...not cluttered...i cant think of the word...its like...over-doing it...yeah i have a dvd player in my regular cab truck...and intend on putting a screen in to watch dvd's in my truck(mainly ****...lol)...but surround sound for movies...or surround sound period needs to stay in the living room in my personal opinion...anyone who has a surround sound reciever in their home knows...if u play music through surround mode...you lose power...you lose quality...theres no 'image' and it sounds like...well...****...

just my .02

Old 12-24-2006, 12:46 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion

ORIGINAL: rappin_trashman

i agree...i only need front speakers and sub(s)...i dont care what kinda speakers you have for the rear-deck...its ****ty to me...im not about imaging...but even four speakers for mids and highs is to much for me...i guess thats why i need 100-150 watts rms for my highs...because i like it loud...but 75X4...its just...not cluttered...i cant think of the word...its like...over-doing it...yeah i have a dvd player in my regular cab truck...and intend on putting a screen in to watch dvd's in my truck(mainly ****...lol)...but surround sound for movies...or surround sound period needs to stay in the living room in my personal opinion...anyone who has a surround sound reciever in their home knows...if u play music through surround mode...you lose power...you lose quality...theres no 'image' and it sounds like...well...****...

just my .02
uhm... DITTO. lol. in a car, the quality is so bad, i hate how the new car stereos come with a standard surround sound so you HAVE to have it. this world blows.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:19 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Are you nuts?[sm=insomnia.gif] Seriously how can you say mono is better than surround? Surround is more natural, more realistic. Real life isn't in mono, so why would you want to listen to music or movies in mono. It just seems so flat. Not so much in cars, but in the home it is night and day when watching movies. It makes it so much more realistic. And as far as being in the center, that's true unless you actually pay attention and set the time alignment and levels on your reciever, then it acts as though you ARE in the center. Even in a vehicle, I put a 5.1 processor in a vehicle not too long ago, and with a 5.1 CD it sounded amazing, the sounds just jumped out. Like I said it's all in the setup. And I will agree that with stereo the fronts will overpower the rears. But as soon as you switch to the 5.1 processing with the time alignment and level adjustmentyou can hear the rears clear as day.You do realize you have to have a 5.1encodedCD to actually make the surround sound work right.........? If you're basing your conclusions using a stereo CD on a 5.1 setup, obviously it isn't gonna make a difference.

Oh and listening to music in stereoon surround sound systems in the home only sounds like **** if you're trying to use those little crappy cube speakers. Get a decent set of floorstanders and a decent sub and then tell me it sound like ****. I sell Klipsch Reference and THX systemsat work and even the smaller RF-10's sound pretty good with music, amazing with movies. Go up a few more to even the 62's and it sounds amazing both ways, and it just keeps getting better. Jump up to the THX system and you'll **** your pants.

You cant make judgements based on those POS theater-in-a-box systems.

Old 12-25-2006, 03:20 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Surround is fine for movies....that are supposed to put you in the middle of the action persay. But for music surround is the worst thing ever in my book. You dont go to a concert and listen to a band behind you.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:45 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

ORIGINAL: habeba86

Surround is fine for movies....that are supposed to put you in the middle of the action persay. But for music surround is the worst thing ever in my book. You dont go to a concert and listen to a band behind you.
thank you lol. and i was trying to be talking about music. i dont know if i mentioned it... lemme check... yes, i was. lol. music sounds way crappy when in surround. i dont care what you say. like habeba said, you dont go to a concert to listen to a band behind you. i have been to a few concerts recently. i went to Trans-Siberian Orchestra, they were awesome! played in MONO and had all the sound you wanted, sounded very, very full. i later went to a concert, your holiday show, at the same stadium, different sound engineers, different sound, way different sound. it was in surround and it sounded horrible, you cant hear the whole band, you only hear 1 singer, and half of another. they finally changed it to stereo during intermission, much better. i wasnt saying movies are bad with surround, they are actually great! but, go to a movie theatre, they dont do time delay and stuff like that for you, they just do regular surround sound so the people in the middle can hear it best and everybody else is screwed.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:40 AM
whiteram00
Captain

why would you want to have sound other then subs coming from the back,whats the point if you have high powered subs that get loud"you not goin to hear the speakers"wasted money,throw you a good set of door speaker up front an some subs in the back an be done an happy with the sound

Old 12-26-2006, 05:41 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

ORIGINAL: whiteram00

why would you want to have sound other then subs coming from the back,whats the point if you have high powered subs that get loud"you not goin to hear the speakers"wasted money,throw you a good set of door speaker up front an some subs in the back an be done an happy with the sound
what are you trying to say?

tell me if this is what youre talking about:
why have high powered subs if your speakers cant be heard?

is that it?

Old 12-27-2006, 03:01 AM
whiteram00
Captain

ok for instance i have front door speakers in my ram,rear speakers an2 12's behind the seat, more than likely you will only fill the bass because the rear speakers are right behind you blaster at ur ears,if there are just subs back there you will fill an hear the bass,to me high freq.grounds out low bass notes

Quick Reply: Surround Sound and who likes and/or uses it?