Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Matching ohm speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 01:42 PM
CaptDuke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching ohm speakers?

Ibought 2oh Kappa 6x9's for the front doors of my truck, Do I have to but 2oh, 6.5speakers for there rear or can I buy 4ohm? I'm triing to put to gethar a new stereo over the next few weeks. I think I'm going to run the front and rear doors on the same amp.

Also any suggestions on amps to power these?

Old 01-04-2007, 01:54 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star
Default RE: Matching ohm speakers?

Yes you should get the same impedence for the rears. It's not especially great for the amp to see 2 different loads like that. Plus the fronts would be roughly twice as loud because they have half the impedence as the rears. But to answer your question bluntly, no you don't have to.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:22 PM
CaptDuke

thanks man, what would you suggest for an amp to power these?

Old 01-05-2007, 10:14 AM
durango360
Rookie

Not sure what kind of system you have, but I will give you a brief rundown of what I did and what happened...I have a 2000 Durango with the stock Infinity system (head unit, amp and 6.5s in the rear doors, 6.5s with seperate tweets up front, 2 ohm system). My rear speakers blew first, then the front. I replaced the rear with some Blaupaunkt 6.5s ( 4 ohm ) while leaving the 2 ohm speakers up front. The rear volume level was about half of what it was before the originals blew and anytime I cranked up the volume, there was a loud pop and drag on the system. This was due to overworking the amp since I was running 4 ohm speakers instead of the 2 ohm...........I have now replaced the rear with some Infinity Kappa 62.7s and up front I put the component set (60.7cs). The pop went away and they sound terrific ( for a stock head unit and amp ). I will probably replace the factory amp with another or maybe an aftermarket amp ( one that is stable at 2 ohm ) since my rear still don't have the volume they once had. I think I may have damaged it running those 4 ohm speakers.... I hope this helps.....

Old 01-05-2007, 12:11 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Running 4-ohms speakers on a 2-ohm stable amp isn't working it harder, in fact it's easier on the amp. The amp wants to see as much resistence as it can. The lower the impedence, the more amperage flows through the equipment. The more amperage, the more heat = more strain on the system. It was running the 2 different impedences that put a strain on the amp. Personally I've never seen an issue with the stock infinity amplifier with 2 different loads, but it's definatly not how it should be done. The higher impedence speakersis definatly a direct cause of thelower volumethough.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:09 PM
durango360
Rookie

my fault for not making it clear in my post, the strain was in fact due to having the two different speakers on the amp at the same time.....hope all of this helps someone out there.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:23 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

I wasn't really meaning to correct you either. Sorry if it came off that way. It's just the way it was worded could have been taken either way, so I was just trying to clear it up a bit.

Quick Reply: Matching ohm speakers?