Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

radio cuts out help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:00 PM
vr6_dub
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio cuts out help

well i installed 2 kicker 12L7 subs with a memphis 1100x1 amp. ok the problem is i installed this setup with my factory RB4 head unit. i had to get a step down for my amp to hook up to the radio. ok so when i turn it up, the radio like cuts out. im thinking its a power surge? or maybe it may be the way we hooked up the system. we used 4 gauge wiring kit and the wire looks pretty thick so i dunno if its the wiring. and it only cuts out when i put it on CD mode and turn up the volume. it sounds like the cd skips or losses power. but when i put it on radio mode i can turn it up all the way and it wont cut out. im getting an after market radio but dont have the cash just yet. so all you audio gurus if you could help me out. thx

Old 03-23-2007, 05:16 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker
Default RE: radio cuts out help

Is jst the radio or jst the amp shutting off? Or are both shutting off?

Old 03-23-2007, 08:00 PM
vr6_dub
Rookie

none of them turn off, its just a quick power surge. it last maybe 1 second or less. when i put in a cd and i turn up the subs and it hits a certain bass and it cuts off for 1sec or less. im thinking its my factory radio that maybe cant handle the amp being connected to it. causing a power surge to the subs, cuz it only happens when i put in a cd and when i put it on radio stations i can turn up the bass all the way and it wont cut out.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:17 AM
whiteram00
Captain

sounds like ur amp is goin into protection mode,what ohm are the subs,the amp might not be stable down to the ohm load that ur subs are needing,if ur runing dual 4 ohm bridged ur amp needs to go down to 1 ohm an if they are dual 2 ohm,ur amp needs 2 ohm,does the protection light come on the amp when it cuts out?

Old 03-24-2007, 05:02 AM
vr6_dub
Rookie

^^ i never really watched to see if my protection light comes on the amp. the subs are 4ohm and the amp is a memphis 1100x1 and its 1ohm stable. but wutever it is that cuts out , cuts out to fast for me to see if its the amp or wut it is. i was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this before. my amp is a 1ch amp, but it has the 4 connections(+ -)to hook up both speakers but inside the amp its only 1 ch..

Old 03-24-2007, 05:43 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Uusually when this happens its a bad ground or they are dropping too much voltage and the equipment is shutting off for a second till voltage goes back up. Your case is weird, because it only happens with a cd. What do you have your remote turn-on lead hooked up to? That memphis amp you have is a good amp, but check to see if it is going into protection.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:24 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Does the sound cut off to everything? Interior speakers as well? Possibly you have a weak laser in the headunit? And the low frequencies are causing it to "Skip"? If it's weak it will have a hard time reading a cd as it is, let alone with low frequencyvibrations. It's not uncommon to have aweak laser right out of the box. They're similar to a battery, if they are weak, they just don't work well. And in time will get worse and worse until they are dead.

Quick Reply: radio cuts out help