DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Brand News, Concepts & Rumors (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/brand-news-concepts-and-rumors-29/)
-   -   Crossfire to be discontinued this summer (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/brand-news-concepts-and-rumors/100717-crossfire-to-be-discontinued-this-summer.html)

Midnight SRT 04-03-2007 09:32 PM

Crossfire to be discontinued this summer

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-c...is-summer.html

scg87 04-03-2007 11:01 PM

RE: Crossfire to be discontinued this summer

Honestly....... it's about time.

thestealth 04-03-2007 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: scg87

Honestly....... it's about time.
:D Exactly what I was thinking.

Even though it was cost effective to produce...10y/o Benz technology was not the way too go.

dustyloins 04-03-2007 11:27 PM

They didn't sell well down here at all.....I saw two of them on the roads.......

Dusty

scg87 04-03-2007 11:27 PM

Yeah, even though it looked good, it was outdated from an engineering, as well as marketplace, standpoint.

Dakota_24 04-04-2007 12:21 AM

I like them. What a tragedy! I read on there that some people posted that they were too expensive. G/D; IT'S CHRYSLER...A LUXURY BRAND! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT IT TO COST; $20,000? IM SORRY; BUT LUXURY IS WORTH MORE THAN THAT!

dustyloins 04-04-2007 01:09 AM

I liked them as well, but I think the niche they were supposed to fill was better filled by the Nissan 350Z or even the Porsche Boxster.........

Dusty

irocelectric93 04-04-2007 02:12 AM

Youre both right...but overall they just werent selling. They were pretty damn fast though....i raced one and all i have to say is I for one was shocked at how fast it was. It wasn't even the srt6 model...i think it was an auto too!

Midnight SRT 04-04-2007 02:14 AM

Yes, they're autos.

Altair 04-04-2007 02:58 AM

To be honest I always hated those, though that may have something to do with the fact that it's the only car I physically can't even get into. I swear they designed them for people 5'6 and shorter or something...

thestealth 04-04-2007 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Midnight

Yes, they're autos.
Only the SRT's were autos, the regular Crossfires are both.

Midnight SRT 04-04-2007 05:43 PM

I was refering to the SRT.

A 6-speed manual is standard on the coupe and roadster. Optional 5-speed auto.

nickoman01 04-04-2007 05:59 PM

i am not surprised. they didnt even sell that well around here. my nieghbor has one. in HS some of the kids had them. one fo our teachers. my uncle has one. but u dont see them everywhere like other american produtcs. BTW the new escape is disgusting. the old one was decent. why doesnt ford just bend over and make it easier for toyota to rape them.

scg87 04-04-2007 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: dustyloins

I liked them as well, but I think the niche they were supposed to fill was better filled by the Nissan 350Z or even the Porsche Boxster.........

Dusty
Exactly. Hence me buying a new 350Z in January instead of a Crossfire. Hmmmm, 215hp for 35K, or 300hp for 30K..........[&:] They do look good though. (IMO)

Dartman69 04-04-2007 06:15 PM

Perhaps they'll get the formula right with the upcoming Demon?

nickoman01 04-04-2007 07:28 PM

yeah consider price. the crossfire was expensive compared to say a solstice

Dakota_24 04-04-2007 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: nickoman01

yeah consider price. the crossfire was expensive compared to say a solstice
There IS a difference between the Crossfire and the Solstice...The Crossfire again; is considered a LUXURY sports car; the Solstice isnt!

thestealth 04-04-2007 08:25 PM

You are right Dakota....but really, you are arguing a point no one really gives a **** about.

It was a sporty luxury two seater, that wasn't really all that fast even in SRT form, too small for me to fit in comfortably and zero luggage space in the hatch. The fact that it was built from MB parts bins from a discontinued model only sealed the cars fate before it was ever produced.

EvilZombieZ 04-04-2007 08:44 PM

yeah I think the crossfire was a waste to be produced in the first place, and the solstice was by far the better car, you will enver get a convertible, and a car looking that good for the price of the solstice.

Dakota_24 04-04-2007 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: thestealth

You are right Dakota....but really, you are arguing a point no one really gives a **** about.

It was a sporty luxury two seater, that wasn't really all that fast even in SRT form, too small for me to fit in comfortably and zero luggage space in the hatch. The fact that it was built from MB parts bins from a discontinued model only sealed the cars fate before it was ever produced.

What are you talking about SRT form? There never was an SRT version available, so how would you know how fast it would've been?

thestealth 04-04-2007 10:17 PM

You are obviously mentally handicapped, or you don't know as much as you think you do...either way...
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=102679

I was looking into buying an SRT-6, but couldn't justify the high price. Thanks for playing though.

scg87 04-04-2007 11:26 PM

You are obviously mentally handicapped, or you don't know as much as you think you do...either way...

I was looking into buying an SRT-6, but couldn't justify the high price. Thanks for playing though.

BURN........

Anyways, although it looked good, bottom line....... Crossfire sucked. The End.

97 3.5 Intrepid 04-04-2007 11:53 PM

Even though it was cost effective to produce...10y/o Benz technology was not the way too go.

Don't you think it is ironic that you have contempt for Chrysler using a rebadged car from Mercedes, when your Stealth is a rebadged Mitsubishi?

03neonRT 04-05-2007 12:35 AM

All I can say is its about time...perhaps now they can do a sports coupe the right way and perhaps lead the way for the Demon or something like it to appear in the Dodge/Chrysler lineup...

thestealth 04-05-2007 01:07 AM

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

Don't you think it is ironic that you have contempt for Chrysler using a rebadged car from Mercedes, when your Stealth is a rebadged Mitsubishi?
OMG...WHO KNEW!!!!

I think you have misinterpeted my post. I have no problem with platform sharing.

nickoman01 04-05-2007 02:23 AM

the crossfire was not luxury. if they claim it was thats just plain sad.

97 3.5 Intrepid 04-06-2007 03:37 AM

This one sure sounds to me like you have a problem with them using Benz tech.

I agree that they made a number of mistakes with the Crossfire. For one thing it wasn't what they claimed it was. What in the Crossfire really was Chrysler, and don't tell me the styling or small electronic parts like power windows engines, that is nothing. The platform wasn't the problem it was the powertrain. It would have been fine if they would have dropped in Chrysler engines. If they would have dropped in the 300M Special spec 3.5L (255hp & 258ft-lbs of torque) for the base engine and possibly either modified it with either a functional cold air intake or added some modern technology such as VVT and/or Direct Injection, it would have been a lot better than that weak MB 3.2L. Heck,a Chrysler 3.2L would have been more powerful than that weak engine and way less expensive. The 253hp & 255ft-lbs version of the 3.5L offered in the Prowler did 0-60 between 5.8-6.2 secs and it only had the 42RLE for the transmission (granted they had to use shorter gearing to accomplish this but no one buys these cars for the sake of fuel economy).

A 3.5L modified like this could rival the VQ offered in the 350Z (even with that technology it would probably still be cheaper than the MB 3.2L). They should have also looked into if they could possibly supercharge the 3.5L and offer that for the SRT-6. That would have been one sweet car if they did that.

Altair 04-06-2007 03:57 AM

Doesn't seem so much like contempt for using Mercedes tech to me as contempt for using OLD outdated Mercedes tech. Also not all "rebadgings" are the same, the 3000gt/stealth was and still is an extremely impressive piece of machinery, the crossfire sadly is not. It's too expensive for what it is, and it doesn't have the kind of power it should. It's not the only chrysler vehicle that's underpowered, they've done it to quite a few of them, especially in the past few years. I agree with thestealth, the answer for chrysler doesn't lie in using someone else's old technology, they need to be innovating and creating new technology. Let's face it, the big 3 got lazy for a little while, and the foreign auto companies kept pushing the envelope, that's why they have a technology edge in some areas and Chrysler needs to remedy that if they want to get back on top.

97 3.5 Intrepid 04-06-2007 04:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Altair

Doesn't seem so much like contempt for using Mercedes tech to me as contempt for using OLD outdated Mercedes tech. Also not all "rebadgings" are the same, the 3000gt/stealth was and still is an extremely impressive piece of machinery, the crossfire sadly is not. It's too expensive for what it is, and it doesn't have the kind of power it should. It's not the only chrysler vehicle that's underpowered, they've done it to quite a few of them, especially in the past few years. I agree with thestealth, the answer for chrysler doesn't lie in using someone else's old technology, they need to be innovating and creating new technology. Let's face it, the big 3 got lazy for a little while, and the foreign auto companies kept pushing the envelope, that's why they have a technology edge in some areas and Chrysler needs to remedy that if they want to get back on top.

So in your eyes the 3000GT/Stealth was an impressive piece of machinary and yet the Crossfire isn't? The fastest times I have seen a stock 3000GT/Stealth run is 0-60 in 5.3 secs with a 6-speed manual, yet a SRT-6 will do it in 5.1 secs with only a 5-speed auto.

Underpowered? The slowest time I saw was 7.1 secs for one of those. It won't rival a Vette, but that isn't necessarily underpowered. Underpowered would be more along the lines of a base model Sebring coupe with a 2.4L.

I agree they should be making their own technology instead of someone elses. I have been saying that for a long time. The use of the Eclipse for the Sebring and Stratus coupes is one example that comes to mind that was a mistake. Would you also accuse the same thing of these cars since the 3.0L Mitsubishi was infact less powerful than the NA version offered in the 3000GT/Stealth twins made about ten years earilier? Wouldn't that also make the 3.0L Mitsubishi "OLD?" The fact that the Stratus/Sebring coupes were slower than the Crossfire even with the 3.0L (which was less powerful than the 3.2L MB), would that be classified as underpowered in your book? They should have made coupe versions of the sedan versions and offered the 3.5L in those as well instead of using that engine that was outdated ten years earlier by the 3000GT/Stealth twins.

I agree that the big three got lazy. Before the merger, Chrysler was on the cutting edge, now they have come to a halt partly because of MB won't let them raise the bar because of their own ultra-low benchmark.

Altair 04-06-2007 05:04 AM

So in your eyes the 3000GT/Stealth was an impressive piece of machinary and yet the Crossfire isn't? The fastest times I have seen a stock 3000GT/Stealth run is 0-60 in 5.3 secs with a 6-speed manual, yet a SRT-6 will do it in 5.1 secs with only a 5-speed auto.
You also have to look at what the car was for it's time, and how it stacked up against the competition. The 3000GT/Stealth is still a decently fast car today. It's now an old car by today's standards but it keeps up pretty well. The Crossfire just doesn't stack up to it's competition, I honestly can't understand why anyone would pick a Crossfire over a 350z.

Underpowered? The slowest time I saw was 7.1 secs for one of those. It won't rival a Vette, but that isn't necessarily underpowered. Underpowered would be more along the lines of a base model Sebring coupe with a 2.4L.
Ok, I'll give you that. I'll just say it's not as powerful as I think it suggests by the looks and how it's been marketed.

I agree they should be making their own technology instead of someone elses. I have been saying that for a long time. The use of the Eclipse for the Sebring and Stratus coupes is one example that comes to mind that was a mistake. Would you also accuse the same thing of these cars since the 3.0L Mitsubishi was infact less powerful than the NA version offered in the 3000GT/Stealth twins made about ten years earilier? Wouldn't that also make the 3.0L Mitsubishi "OLD?" The fact that the Stratus/Sebring coupes were slower than the Crossfire even with the 3.0L (which was less powerful than the 3.2L MB), would that be classified as underpowered in your book? They should have made coupe versions of the sedan versions and offered the 3.5L in those as well instead of using that engine that was outdated ten years earlier by the 3000GT/Stealth twins.
Yes, yes, and yes. Making the coupe slower than the sedan makes no sense to me anyway (I'm assuming the sedans were available with 3.5s, my knowledge on the stratus and sebring is limited).

I agree that the big three got lazy. Before the merger, Chrysler was on the cutting edge, now they have come to a halt partly because of MB won't let them raise the bar because of their own ultra-low benchmark.
I definitely agree about them coming to a halt, but why do you say MB has an ultra-low benchmark? Last I checked they were developing some pretty amazing technology. Or were you just talking about their benchmark for Chrysler?

Midnight SRT 04-06-2007 11:30 AM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

and there's nothing slow about a 3240 lb, 330 hp car. It will run a mid 13 and go 160 mph. It's not a Viper, but it's not slow.

thestealth 04-06-2007 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Midnight
and there's nothing slow about a 3240 lb, 330 hp car. It will run a mid 13 and go 160 mph. It's not a Viper, but it's not slow.
Amazingly...that is about what a Stealth will run...not bad for 2 ton beast. :D

Edit: But this shouldn't digress into a Stealth vs. Crossfire thread, although, both cars will ultimately share a similar history and demise. Radical styling, competent performance, slow sales, over priced, short life, spurned by die hard Mopar enthusiasts. ;)

97 3.5 Intrepid 04-06-2007 01:56 PM

You also have to look at what the car was for it's time, and how it stacked up against the competition. The 3000GT/Stealth is still a decently fast car today. It's now an old car by today's standards but it keeps up pretty well. The Crossfire just doesn't stack up to it's competition, I honestly can't understand why anyone would pick a Crossfire over a 350z.
Depends on which cars you stack up against the Crossfire. If you compare the current SLK and BMW M, it is a bargin (on the SRT-6 package). You get good power for dollar. When you compare it against the 350-Z it also depends on how you look at it. The 350Z-S Tune is slower than the SRT-6, but about $7K less expensive than the SRT-6, which makes it look like a good deal until you look around. The 350Z looks like a rip off in comparison to a MustangGTwhichcosts a lot less and is significantly faster.

Ok, I'll give you that. I'll just say it's not as powerful as I think it suggests by the looks and how it's been marketed.
That sums up most of Chrysler's models on the base level. The 300 is marketed as being luxurious and being fast, yet the base model with cloth and the 2.7L is the opposite of that.In truth the Crossfire is closer to its marketing at the base level than most of their products.

Yes, yes, and yes. Making the coupe slower than the sedan makes no sense to me anyway (I'm assuming the sedans were available with 3.5s, my knowledge on the stratus and sebring is limited).
You misunderstand me. The 3.5 was not offered in the 01-06 Sebring/Stratus in either coupe or sedan. I'm saying that Chrysler should have offered this engines to stay competitve in both models. Making the coupes rebadged Eclipse models was a bad idea.Chrysler needs to put their best foot forward at all times because their competitiondoes and you can't win unless you put in your best effort.

I definitely agree about them coming to a halt, but why do you say MB has an ultra-low benchmark? Last I checked they were developing some pretty amazing technology. Or were you just talking about their benchmark for Chrysler?

Look at the engines MB has to offer. The3.5L they offer is getting badly beaten by Lexus's 3.5L(a non-performance based luxury), Nissan's & Infinity's versions of the 3.5L VQ, and so forth. If they set a high bench mark they would not defeated quite as easily. Also take a look at the W5A580 which is used in many Chrysler products and varients of MB in comparison to similar models using the 42RLE. It really does not improve fuel mileage, the difference in acceleration is marginal, and it isn't that cheap to build. If Mercedes was a benchmarker, how come they are still using a transmission that hardly better than a 4-speed using technology developed in the late 80s-early 90s. If they were a bench marker, they would have kept improving it. There are other examples mostly in the interior that is actually lower quality than Chrysler's interior in the LH cars. Mercedes is a lazy, envious company that is insignificant at best.

Dakota_24 04-06-2007 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: scg87

BURN........

Anyways, although it looked good, bottom line....... Crossfire sucked. The End.
Ok KELSO; CALM DOWN!

Altair 04-06-2007 06:46 PM

Didn't realize Mercedes stuff was that lackluster compared to their competition. When I said they seemed to be developing some sweet tech I was thinking of an article in Popular Science that showed a prototype car Mercedes was working on which actively adjusted camber to "lean" into corners.

Also why would Chrysler only offer the SRT-6 with a five speed auto? If I was going to buy a car like that it damn well better have a manual or I'm not interested, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

thestealth 04-06-2007 07:26 PM

Also why would Chrysler only offer the SRT-6 with a five speed auto? If I was going to buy a car like that it damn well better have a manual or I'm not interested, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Because they were told to by MB. Don't forget Benz' Halo car has a slushbox in it. ;)

dodgebrothers 04-07-2007 12:15 AM

Well, I'm in the camp of it was cool looking, I thought it made Chrysler aggressive and "younger" which it needed. I too agree it was too little too late. But overall, not a bad buggy for my two cents...

Dakota_24 04-07-2007 03:38 AM

How about a better choice of words? Like "Offer a Manual"! Some people can't drive "Manuals" and would like the same fun and speed in sports cars; that some of you "Manual" buffs desire!

Altair 04-07-2007 04:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Dakota_24

How about a better choice of words? Like "Offer a Manual"! Some people can't drive "Manuals" and would like the same fun and speed in sports cars; that some of you "Manual" buffs desire!
Wasn't saying an automatic shouldn't be offered, I was just saying that if I was looking to buy one no manual would mean no deal for me. If that came across otherwise that's not how I intended it.

scg87 04-09-2007 10:55 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

Depends on which cars you stack up against the Crossfire. If you compare the current SLK and BMW M, it is a bargin (on the SRT-6 package). You get good power for dollar. When you compare it against the 350-Z it also depends on how you look at it. The 350Z-S Tune is slower than the SRT-6, but about $7K less expensive than the SRT-6, which makes it look like a good deal until you look around. The 350Z looks like a rip off in comparison to a MustangGTwhichcosts a lot less and is significantly faster.
[quote]

The new 350Z base price is only a few thousand more than a Mustang GT's. For that few grand extra, you get a TRUE sports car that looks way more expensive than a Mustang GT, will completely destroy one around the track or in the twisties, is less common, and is pretty much dead even in straight line acceleration. Actually, it still has a higher top-speed than the GT.

Is the new Mustang GT a good car?? Absolutely, and it's great bang for the buck. The 350Z, however, is a more complete,better all-around sportscar. It doesn't reallymatterthough, it's not like they steal sales from one another. I doubt too many customers end up being torn between buying a 350Z or a GT......