Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler's Need For Speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 05:38 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler's Need For Speed

One thing Chrysler needs badly, some critics say, is more speed. Not in its cars, but in its development process. "They have to step up up their product replacement strategy," said Tom Libby, an analyst with Power Information Networks.
Both Ford and General Motors have had to adjust their product line-ups in recent years to deal with buyers shifting away from truck-based vehicles. The Chrysler Group has had a harder time doing this.
More efficient engines and vehicles are in the works and so are more car-based crossover SUVs. But Chrysler Group has products in the planning stages that competitors already have in showrooms.
And some new products, like the Chrysler Sebring sedan, don't leap ahead enough to keep up with competitors.
From the 'net.

Dusty

Old 04-19-2007, 02:35 AM
clean_sx
Record Breaker
Default RE: Chrysler's Need For Speed

well, the pacifica is the original crossover , and because its a domestic got over looked ath the time. Am i wrong? and now look at he situation?

Old 04-19-2007, 05:19 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

the pacifica is a crossover but not the same kind you are thinking of. this current generation of crossover is suv bodies on car frames. they are combining cars and suvs. the pacifica is a mix of minivan and suv. it is more minivan then anything though because it is based off of the minivan frame and is builtin the minivan factories. i drove pacificas for a long time, and it is way to big and van like to fall into the currentcrossover category.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:32 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think some of the delay recently (past 16-24 months) is Daimler knowing they may get rid of Chrysler.

The Challenger should be in production now
The Viper took to long, it was basically a engine upgrade
Caliber SRT-4, another wonder

As for design, when they do make a vehicle I think they have been on the cutting edge for a long time, going back to the Prowler and PT. Yes, it is a PT, but when that thing came out, the retro idea was Chrysler's, now everyone is doing it. I think the 300 was out of the box (compared to what others offer), but in a good way. As I said it has only been the last couple yearssomething has happened.

Now they face the following
Ram is due for a new look, Dakota has a couple years left.
Charger has a couple years left and will need a new look
PT, well that needs completly redone!! That has ran its course.
People still want an affordable, yet somewhat powerful V6 coupe, maybe that is Avenger?
Durango, well that is basically dead (have to give them away)and the Aspen, well that was dead out of the shoot. Need new there, crossover, or maybe cut them out completely and try to move those owners over to Jeep.
Maybe a serious convertible? I would like to see a V6 Challenger drop top, which would be "affordable".
Magnum seems to have ran its course based on sales, but is a small drain on DC as long as the current Charger is around.

All of that would have to come after their current projects which are stuck in the mud, so expect this to go on for the next 12-24 months at least, even after being bought! It takes 12 months to take a concept to production, when the company is being ran correctly.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:35 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

The Challenger should be in production now
I agree, news of the Challenger's reproduction has been around for years and there's definately a huge market for it. But where is it? The Avenger popped out of no where, why not the Challenger? Dodge needs a diverse, competitivemarket, a serious problem that Ford and GM have had in the recent years with basically all suvs. If no one wants them, you can compete all you want and still never profit.

Quick Reply: Chrysler's Need For Speed