Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler Daimler sale news

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 03:54 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler Daimler sale news

Is a sale of Chrysler the only option? Sounds like the Germans have totally screwed Chrysler up that it may take a real car guy to get in there and turn things around. The bottom line is sales. The 300 and Charger are good cars, the Ram is a good truck. The Sebring and Avenger look to be good also but the rest of the line up sucks. I like to look at all the articles in the major magazines like Car and Drvier Road and Track etc etc and I have noticed that Chrysler products are rarely in them anymore. I think Chrysler needs to restructured in 2 areas. New owners and a new line up. I should have said 3, don't forget some good advertising. I wouldn't mind seeing a group like Magna get Chrysler or Kirk Kerkoian's Tracinda Corp [can't figure out why people don't want him to have the comapny. Here is a link to a story that sheds light on the subject.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...445583,00.html

Old 04-25-2007, 04:05 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler Daimler sale news

The UAW is now saying they will strike if anyone other than Magna buys Chrysler:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...704250423/1148

However, it is still possible that Cereberus will buy the finance arm of Chrysler, just like Cereberus has already bought GMAC.

Keep in mind that current Chrysler President Tom LaSorda's father and MOTHER! were both vice-presidents of the Canadian UAW,
and that Magna is a Canadian company who might be able to get loans from the Canadian government if additional auto parts plants to supply Chrysler were to be built in Canadian provinces.

I think it is also possible that Daimler may want to keep the Jeep division.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:16 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This article demonstrates some of what is wrong with Chrysler. Dr. Z did such a good job that there is little left to improve? B.S. Chrysler's problem is that many of their models do not stand out like they used to. Their engine line needs a serious update. The competition from Toyota offers a V6 with Dual-VVT and Direct Injection and the 3.5L V6 has neither. They needed to invest in the company, not cost cut it to death. They need to produce their own platforms, transmissions, and engines, not depend on others while having to pay premiums on all of it. They abandoned important segments (economy cars) and expanded in dying segments (SUVs). Their styling isn't what it used to be. What did Dr. Z do right besides the 300? Nothing. Grrrrr.[sm=rant.gif]

Old 04-25-2007, 07:15 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Should we feel sad for the German Daimler shareholders,
who bought Chrysler for $38 billion
and will now probably sell its pieces for...maybe $5-7 billion?

Should we feel sad for the BMW shareholders
who bought the British company Rover for $7 billion
and sold its pieces for essentially zero
{but kept the successful Mini}

Is there a trend here?
Are Germans really all that smart as investors?

Are German engineers really technically competent?
Try Googling
'Airbus 380 electrical wiring length problem'

Which is the more admirable design:
The German Tiger Tank
or
The Garand M1 rifle?

Want a Japanese opinion on this subject?
Well the Japanese never tried to copy a Tiger Tank,
but they did try to copy the Garand Rifle.....

Old 04-25-2007, 08:40 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran

Chrysler does need a change in product. Look at the Avenger/Sebring. A 4 speed auto is so out dated but they both have one. There is no entry level coupe/sedan. There is no small pick up anymore. The gas milage is some of the worse in the market [my parents 81 Aries K got 39MPG and that had a carb and not fuel injection] I can already see Chrysler screwing up the new Challenger. Please make a V6 option to increase sales volume. The last thing we need is another rarely seen Dodge Viper type. There are some cool concepts out there like the Demon but there are some out there that make me wonder what the hell the designers are thinking. [new Dodge Crossover SUV for one]. I guess there are enough good used Chryslers and Dodges out there to keepme happy for a while if they don't get their head out of their...well, you know the rest of the saying!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:34 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

if the uaw takes control of the company i will buy GM

Old 04-26-2007, 12:14 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HankL

Should we feel sad for the German Daimler shareholders,
who bought Chrysler for $38 billion
and will now probably sell its pieces for...maybe $5-7 billion?

Should we feel sad for the BMW shareholders
who bought the British company Rover for $7 billion
and sold its pieces for essentially zero
{but kept the successful Mini}

Is there a trend here?
Are Germans really all that smart as investors?

Are German engineers really technically competent?
Try Googling
'Airbus 380 electrical wiring length problem'

Which is the more admirable design:
The German Tiger Tank
or
The Garand M1 rifle?

Want a Japanese opinion on this subject?
Well the Japanese never tried to copy a Tiger Tank,
but they did try to copy the Garand Rifle.....
Let's not forget about how Daimler screwed-up Mitsubishi, and Hyundai didn't improve until they got out from underneath Daimler. The Germans used to be impressive, but not anymore. They have become too french (lazy) for their own good.

Nick: I'm also concerned if the uaw takes control. I don't think they know how to manage the company. I'm hoping for Magna to take control.

Quick Reply: Chrysler Daimler sale news