Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

CHRYSLER SOLD!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHRYSLER SOLD!!!!!!

(from http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...aspx?GT1=10018)

Chrysler (parent company to Dodge) sold to Cerberus for $7.4B

The private-equity firm wins the bidding for the ailing U.S. auto maker. [/align]

Latest Market Update
May 14, 2007 -- 11:00 ET
[BRIEFING.COM] The indices are off their worst levels but have only bounced enough to lift the S&P 500 back above the flat line. A rebound in Energy (+0.4%) can be attributed to part of the broader market's turnaround and why the Nasdaq is... More[/align]More';" src="http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Feeds/XML/MarketUpdate.aspx">[/align]

Three months to the day after DaimlerChrysler (DCX, news, msgs)announced that "all options" were on the table for its struggling U.S. Chrysler unit, private-equity firm Cerberus Capital Management said it would buy an 80.1% stake in Chrysler for $7.41 billion.
"We're confident that we've found the solution that will create the greatest overall value -- both for Daimler and Chrysler," CEO Dieter Zetsche said in a prepared statement today. "With this transaction, we have created the right conditions for a new start for Chrysler and Daimler."
Cerberus beat out two other bidders: a partnership between rival private-equity players Blackstone Group and Centerbridge Capital Partners, and Canadian auto-parts maker Magna International (MGA, news, msgs).

Get free, real-time stock quotes on MSN Money
[ul][/ul]

Shares of DaimlerChrysler jumped almost 2% to $83.50 in morning trading on the news; the stock has risen 20% since Zetsche announced the company's restructuring plans in February.
The deal is expected to close in the third quarter. Daimler will maintain a 19.9% stake in the new company.
Good deal for Daimler? The Cerberus deal is a good one for DaimlerChrysler, said Kevin Tynan, an auto analyst at Argus Research.

"The expectation is that Cerberus will do some cutting and slashing to try to make it leaner and then turn around and selling it," Tynan said. "And Daimler will benefit from that by retaining about 20% of the company. What they got is pretty good."
The first big change: the company's name. The new company will be called Chrysler Holding, with the former German parent changing its name to Daimler, pending a special shareholders meeting in the fall.

Video: More on the Chrysler sale
[ul][/ul]

"We are confident that this transaction will create a stand-alone Chrysler that is financially stronger, with a winning combination of people, industry know-how, operational expertise and spirit of innovation that will accelerate the company's recovery, and help us regain our position as a competitive industry leader," Chrysler CEO Tom LaSorda said.
Daimler-Benz spent $36 billion for Chrysler in 1998 in what was then called a "merger of equals." Today's announcement unwinds what turned into a very unhappy marriage.
"I think Daimler's thrilled to get rid" of Chrysler, and "auto workers will be happy to have it back in American hands," Richard Steinberg of Steinberg Global Asset Management told CNBC.
Disgruntled shareholders have been pushing DaimlerChrysler to unload its U.S. arm after the parent company reported a $1.5 billion loss for 2006.
How did Cerberus win? Cerberus was the most attractive suitor for several reasons.

"From DaimlerChrysler's standpoint, it's purely about who could put the most cash in their pockets the fastest," Dan Luria, an analyst for the Michigan Manufacturing Technology Institute, told Bloomberg News. "Cerberus clearly has deep pockets."

More from MSN Money

[/align][/align][/align][/align]

A key factor in the deal wasn't the price tag but what to do with Chrysler's $18 billion in pension and health-care liabilities.

DaimlerChrysler said Cerberus would not take on any Chrysler debt but would be responsible for its pension and health-care costs. Chrysler, like other U.S. auto makers, has been weighed down by massive obligations to its workers.

Stock Charts (Year)

DaimlerChrysler
[/align][/align][/align]Cerberus also gave itself an edge by hiring Chrysler's former chief operating officer, Wolfgang Bernhard, as an adviser.

The private-equity firm said it will invest $5 billion in the new company, with $1.45 billion going to DaimlerChrysler -- which, in turn, said it would invest $600 million in the new Chrysler company.
Cerberus will also invest $1.05 billion in Chrysler's financial arm -- an attractive synergy for the private-equity firm, which already has 51% stake in GMAC, General Motors' (GM, news, msgs)

financing business.
Magna never the front-runner The news contradicts recent reports from German papers that suggested that Magna was the only bidder left for Chrysler. Just last week, Magna announced that Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska had bought a $1.54 billion stake in the company, and Magna Chairman Frank Stronach said the investment by Deripaska would make the company a more attractive bidder for Chrysler.

But then a few days later Magna told German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung that it only wants a minority stake in Chrysler. Magna had already identified Canadian investment firm Onex as one partner in its fight for Chrysler.
Magna, which had confirmed its interest in a potential purchase of Chrysler on April 13, had been expected to offer between $4.6 billion and $4.7 billion for the unit. DaimlerChrysler is one of Magna's biggest customers.

1|30|next >[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 05-14-2007, 03:08 PM
UpBranchLiner
Default RE: CHRYSLER SOLD!!!!!!

Do you suppose this a good or bad thing?

Old 05-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Pretty surprising huh? I don't follow this stuff much. I didn't even realize that Chrysler was in trouble, I thought it was only Ford. It's sad to hear that it was the massive obligations to the workers that was the blame for bringing it all down.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:15 PM
RobertDunn
Professional

So, this is just the Chrysler nameplate? Dodge, Jeep, and Mercedes still exsist as one unit? (Diamler-Benz?)

I always kind of thought that Chrysler Dodge Jeep were insperable... ???

Old 05-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

for what I read, it gives controll to Cerberus.

the germans still have 20% of the company controll, but not enough to make changes any more.

I say they drop cummins in every chrysler product and be done with it [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 05-14-2007, 03:52 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

lol i dont think they're gonna do all that but a cummins in an avenger could get pretty quick

Old 05-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Does anyone think we will be seeing many changes? I agree with mayfair, I didnt realize that they were in that much trouble.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:05 PM
RamTHIS03

Hearing a lot of talk about how this will be the end of Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler as we know it. Boggles my mind though...how is it that corps like Toyota can open up new plants stateside while the US manufacturers have to open plants overseas?[sm=dontgetit.gif]

I'd like to see employee turnover rates at the plants in the US compared honestly. There's got to be a reason for it, and why we're not doing something to fix it is beyond me. Can anyone explain it to me? I mean, I get the whole plug that crapenese junkboxes are good on gas and last forever...but is there something in the management of their business that affects how they can have plants here and still make money?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:19 PM
andrewjb2003

Cerberus isnt taking any of DaimlerChrysler's debt

Old 05-14-2007, 10:24 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, now maybe things will begin to move again. I been disappointed in the movement of new technology. The Hemi Ram is long due to a HP bump. Challanger is WAY behind, no 09 Ram concept, and yet everything thinks there will be a new 09 Ram.

Quick Reply: CHRYSLER SOLD!!!!!!