Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

UAW head says Chrysler needs concessions from union

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default UAW head says Chrysler needs concessions from union

UAW head says Chrysler needs concessions from union

Two years ago, the UAW gave some health care concessions to struggling GM and Ford in an effort to help the Detroit giants save billions of dollars and stay afloat. At the time, Chrysler was relatively well-off and so the union rejected a similar package for them. UAW President Ron Gettelfinger says that it's time to make up for that omission. Since 2005, the Chrysler Group went from a profit of $1.8 billion, to a loss of $618 million last year, and on to a $1.98 billion loss so far this year. Gettelfinger said a review of Chrysler's finances shows there's a problem that needs to be addressed, so talks are ongoing.

More after the jump.
[/align]

AutoBlog.com
[Source: Detroit Free Press][/align][/align]

Old 06-20-2007, 05:38 PM
SHAPman
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UAW head says Chrysler needs concessions from union

Blah blah blah. GM and Ford still want more concessions. Where does it stop. We give ina little bit, then they still are going to want more. They will never be happy. Do you think we will get them back once we are making money again? Fat chance, this is just the excuse they need to squeeze us. How about the 7 figure guys taking a 10-15 percent paycut instead. Because that is about what they are asking of us mid 5 figure guys.

Joe

Old 07-02-2007, 07:05 AM
silver bullet
Rookie

Although I am far fromUnion, I agree completely. Many use unions as a scapegoat for managments misfires.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:20 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I watched Gettlefinger on the Autoline Detroit TV show
yesterday and he seemed a pretty sharp guy

you can watch some of his interviews online:

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/autoline/archives.php

shows 1118 and 1119
with
'father of the Viper and 2nd Gen Ram'
Marine fighter pilot
'Maximum Bob' Lutz
is also worth a view

Old 07-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

I worked for Chrysler back in the early 60's, back then there was a recession ,we worked a week and we were off a week. We couldn't collect unemployment because of the lapse in time being so short. Now they get 95 % of there pay if there laid off. In my day you could afford to buy a new car or truck with out signing your life away. So maybe some give back would be Ok. We had nothing compaired to today and we made it. If they give some back maybe Chrysler won't have to shut down the Chrysler plant in Newark Del and put all those union workers out of work. Right now they want to spend 3.1 Billon dollar in Mexico for a new plant. Look how much they could save by keeping Newark open. They'll never recover that much money for that new plant anyway. How many cars would they have to sell just too brake even? We need to lower our cost and get control of the industry.again. How can they Make a KIA and then ship it here and sell it and make a profit when we can't even afford to buya truck made in the US. .

[/align]

Old 07-03-2007, 12:20 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Newark is closing due to the fact of poor durango sales. That is mostly due to high gas prices, and Chrysler coming to the big suv party too late. The durango is not getting shipped to mexico. It is actually getting shipped to detroit to be built at jefferson north assy. Where the current grand cherokee and commander are built. Plus its location is poor for Chrysler. Every other U.S. plant is in the midwest. It will save the company money to keep it all local.

"worked for Chrysler back in the early 60's, back then there was a recession ,we worked a week and we were off a week. We couldn't collect unemployment because of the lapse in time being so short. Now they get 95 % of there pay if there laid off. In my day you could afford to buy a new car or truck with out signing your life away. So maybe some give back would be Ok."

Actually its more like 70 percent after its all said and done. Also gas was 20 cents back then, and my house now worth 200kwas built for 18k. Its called inflation, everything has gone up. Its the technology that has made cars so much more expensive now days. The percentage of labor has actually gone down over the past 15 years. Labor is less then 10 percent of sticker price. We are the least expensive component of the car. All this is, is grandstanding by the big three. Like I stated earlier this is just the current excuse to squeeze the guys at the bottom. Sad really, I would think people would want skilled people putting the cars and trucks together that they put their spouses and children in everyday. At this rate all we are going to do is win the race to the bottom.

Quick Reply: UAW head says Chrysler needs concessions from union