Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler Cuts Minivan Prices by Thousands

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:20 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler Cuts Minivan Prices by Thousands

Chrysler Group announced Thursday that its new Dodge and Chrysler minivans, which will begin hitting the showrooms this August and September, will have thousands of dollars in extra content and cost thousands less than current models.[/align]The suggested retail prices on the base model Dodge Grand Caravan will be about $2,000 less than the current model, and the base Chrysler Town & Country will be $3,585 less.
Chrysler hopes to price its minivans closer to what they actually sell for, and to use fewer incentives in the future on the supremely important vehicles, which are among Chrysler's top sellers.
Currently, Chrysler is selling minivans using about $4,500 worth of incentives, said Steven Landry, Chrysler executive vice president for North American sales.
"We want to get the MSRP closer to the transaction price," Landry said. He also said that the new minivans will have $2,000 of added value. MSRP stands for Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.
The new minivan has 35 new or improved features, including swiveling second-row seats, and will provide all-row side curtain air bags and electronic stability control as standard features.[/align]The 2008 Dodge Caravan will have an MSRP that ranges from $22,470 to $27,535, and the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country will range from $23,190 to $36,400.
Early production of the minivans began at Chrysler's Windsor assembly plant earlier this month, and production is to begin at its second minivan assembly plant near St. Louis on Sept. 4, the company said.

From the 'Net

Dusty

Old 07-13-2007, 05:54 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler Cuts Minivan Prices by Thousands

I understand what Chrysler is trying to do
by making prices more realistic
but the trend is worrying.

With $4500 of incentives on minivans
and $6800 on Rams
it must be a real strain.

Yesterday's Wall Street Journal had a large article
saying that Cerberus is meeting resistance
getting the $60 billion in bonds they need
to complete the Chrysler deal.
Investors are demanding 8% interest on bonds
from Chrysler Financial (individual auto loans)
and over 10% interest on the bonds to give Chrysler
operating capital to design a new series of vehicles.

A severe cash crunch may be coming.

Everything seems to depend on whether the 2008 Ram
can sell 20-30% more trucks than are selling now.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:49 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

The pricing is great, I just wished that we were not making them look like odysseys.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the new minivans look great for minivans... Good pricing.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:54 PM
davsnothere
Amateur

Some new/old options now, who would think to bring back the table in the middle with the swivle seats??Didn't the old VW Vanagons have that backin the '70's??

Old 07-15-2007, 05:13 PM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Midnight

I think the new minivans look great for minivans... Good pricing.
I like the current style, if I wanted a Odyssey I'd just buy one. Not chryslers knock off version. Keep the current, or do something original.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:20 PM
rumpumpkin
Rookie

Well, it's about time. I just couldn't see prices on minivans getting any higher. At some point prices just have to stop increasing. I think heavy duty trucks are at that point now. $50k for a truck (full-size, Ram, Laramie, etc) is just ridiculous. We bought a Chrysler T&C in 2002, and that thing was $29,999. And trust me, we shopped, researched, and shopped some more for the best deal. Granted, it was the full leather Limited version...but stil a lot for a minivan. So far, it is the only vehicle we have ever spent more than $30k on. Kids got older, road trips increased, and we are now in a 3/4t Suburban (bought used). Gotta admit though, that minivan was the most comfortable and user-friendly vehicle I've ever had. At the time, the Odyssey's were fairly new, and the dealers had them marked up really high. Still would have chosen the Chrysler though for its' style and plush feel versus the Honda.

I think GM also did something similar with their new Sivlerado's and Sierra's. Newer, more features, improved, and for somewhat less than the previous models.

Quick Reply: Chrysler Cuts Minivan Prices by Thousands