Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler Confirms Challenger SRT-8

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chrysler Confirms Challenger SRT-8

AutoBlog[/align]We feel a "Thank you, Captain Obvious" is in order for this piece of news that was published all the way back on July 12th within the walled garden of Ward's Auto. The news is simply that Chrysler has confirmed it will build an SRT-8 version of the upcoming Challenger pony car. Chrysler, sorry, the NEW Chrysler, has never issued a release to our knowledge confirming it will sell the Challenger SRT-8, but again, we don't need one because they'd be crazy not to.

All current SRT-8 products use Chrysler's 6.1L HEMI V8, so we would expect the same powerplant for the Challenger SRT-8 producing 425 horsepower and 420 ft-lbs. of torque. However, considering how many high-powered variants of the Mustang are offered, and that Chevy will certainly offer a comparably high-powered version of the Camaro, we expect the SRT-8 to break rank with its siblings and have considerably more power than we're used to seeing in an SRT-8 product. In fact, we may reasonably expect all SRT-8 models to get an commensurate bump in power after the Challenger SRT-8 debuts in late 2009, especially with some like the Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300 switching from the current LX platform to a new one code named LY.

BTW - Less than 159 days remain until the production Chrysler Challenger debuts at the Chicago Auto Show next February (check the countdown clock).[/align][/align][/align]CHRYSLER CONFIRMS CHALLENGER SRT-8
SEMA eNews[/align][/align]According to Ward’s Auto, Chrysler Group has confirmed that it will build a high-performance version of the Dodge Challenger. It is expected to launch sometime after the 2009-model base car rolls out. The SRT-8 Challenger will be based on the next-generation LX platform, the LY.[/align][/align]Currently, the LX platform serves the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger sedans and the Dodge Magnum. All of these are expected to migrate to the new LY platform. Despite the price of gasoline, Steve Landry, executive vice president of NAFTA sales, global marketing, service and parts for Chrysler, says the automaker is not concerned. “In recent research with SRT owners, the price of fuel does not come up on the radar as something that concerns them,” Landry says. [/align][/align]SRT-8 products are equipped with a 6.1L, Hemi V8. The Dodge Avenger has been mentioned as a potential SRT candidate. According to Ward’s Auto, Chrysler’s future high-performance lineup will consist of SRT-8 versions of the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Dodge Magnum, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Viper and Dodge Caliber SRT-4.[/align] [/align]

Old 09-02-2007, 01:52 AM
clean_sx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler Confirms Challenger SRT-8

yeah, basicaly, if i had the money to buy an srt of any sort, i wouldnt be worried about fuel prices, cant wait for the beast to hit the street

Old 09-13-2007, 11:26 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And the Caliber SRT-4 should have been out well over a year ago and I still think it's not out yet due to it's overwhelming destructive wheelhop, but I haven't checked on it lately so it may have finally been released.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:09 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody give me a SRT-Whatever that will clear dry washes and 18" high tumbleweeds and scrubrush/rabbit grass.........

Dusty

Quick Reply: Chrysler Confirms Challenger SRT-8