Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Anyone BUY a lifetime powertrain warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Tractor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone BUY a lifetime powertrain warranty?

The 2008 Ram brochure I have in front of me says " The 2008 Ram includes a lifetime powertrain limited warranty. No deductible. " On the last page.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Antjmar
Rookie

Yes for new cars it zero deductible. SinceI have a 2006 I will have to purchase[:@]!

Old 11-19-2007, 01:00 PM
infinitig35

Thanks for the info Cactus and the link I got my power train warranty over the weekend I think it is a great deal.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:39 PM
awill99

I just bought a 2008 Grand Caravan SXT and got the Lifetime Maxcare Option Code LPN100N with $100 deductible. As long as I own car and get a free inspection every 5 years at a Chrysler/Dodge dealership it covers everything the Maximum Care covers except after 100,000 miles they don't cover a rental while it's in shop. I'm retiring in 4 years and plan to keep the vehicle for a while. In Texas 100,000 miles comes quick! By the way I paid $2730. When I get final contract in mail if anything is different I will post.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:56 PM
awill99

Here is Chryslers website on warranties
http://www.servicecontracts.daimlerc...sBenefits.html

Old 11-26-2007, 01:21 PM
dakota2112
Rookie

Isn't buying an extended warranty kind of like giving Chrysler a $3k loan? Furthermore, it's a loan that Chrysler may or may not even pay back (based on how many problems your vehicle has over its lifetime). If you invest your $3k in a good mutual fund instead, you could earn a couple grand along the way and then use that to pay for whatever goes wrong with your vehicle and possibly still have a lot left over.

I recently bought a 2008 Dakota and it has the lifetime powertrain warranty. However I have to wonder about the meaning of "lifetime" and how it applies to coverage. I know it's valid for as long as the original purchaser owns the vehicle, and as long as that person gets the 5-year inspections. But my concern is what happens when oil rings or valves start wearing, things like that. Is Chrysler REALLY going to pony up the bill for an engine overhaul when it just plains wears out? Or will the service department deny coverage citing "normal wear and tear"? Case in point... I drove my '97 Dakota for 170k nearly trouble-free miles. Then last month it started misfiring, and it turns out #3 had lost compression. If the lifetime powertrain warranty were in effect for my '97, would the service department really tear into the engine to fix this under warranty? I just can't see it happening.

Another thing I'm suspicious about is this 5 year inspection. I can almost see the service department doing the inspection and finding a grocery list of things they say require fixing, strings attached: "Your powertrain is fine, but if you don't get A, B, and C fixed, then it'll void your warranty. Oh yeah, and items A, B, and C are not covered, so you need to pay us."

Old 11-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Antjmar
Rookie

I agree it may be smarter to put $3K in a mutual fund and possibly have some cash left over. But, I am contemplating buying a warranty for "peace of mind". The Dakota is a 3rd vehicle for us.I plan to keep it a VERY long time. I may lose money, I may not, depending how many repairs are needed. Ilook at it like buying auto insurance/life insurance we pay hundreds/thousands of dollars a year justto have it "just in case".
My experience with extended car warrantys so far have been positive. I live in an area where dealers charge more than lawyers! We own a VW and a Volvo. VW gets $125/hour Volvo $110. I would guess Dodge probably about $90. My truck has AWD, ABS, and lots of power equipment.PartsALL wears out and fail eventually if you keep the car long enough. Dodge is betting MOST people wont keep their car long enough to have to make many repair claims on the powertrain. I wouldhope that if your old truck had a powetrain warranty they WOULD have rebuilt or replaced the engine. Thats what the warranty is for.At least in your case the warranty didnt really cost you extra!
I also wonder about the 5 year inspection, time will tell. But if I have a almost bumper to bumper extended warranty and they find something needed they will have to fix it (I hope).Enjoy your new Dakota.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:30 AM
awill99

dakata,
I consider a warranty more like insurance. I have had extended warranties on my last 3 Dodges and only one did Iindividually lose money on- when I average all 3 I was ahead by about $1400 over what I paid . I am retiring soon and while I paid $2730 for the lifetime Maxguard warranty I plan on keeping the Grand Caravan for many years and many miles. I have homes in Tx, Nc and Fl. and will be traveling between them chasing good weather.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:46 PM
dakota2112
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Antjmar

PartsALL wears out and fail eventually if you keep the car long enough.
This is exactly why I'm suspicious of a lifetime MaxiCare warranty. The old saying "if something's too good to be true, it probably is" comes to mind here. One gotcha could be: does the warranty only cover MANUFACTURING DEFECTS, or does it also cover part failures due to NORMAL WEAR? I don't have it in front of me right now so I'm only going from memory on this, but I thinkthe powertrain warranty paperwork I received with my 2008 Dakota glosses over that without really pointing one way or another. My fear is that the wording is intentionally vague in efforts to reduce the ammunition available to the vehicle owner... for example when there's 150k+ mileson the odometer, the engine needs a valve job let's say, and it's vehicle owner vs service dept manager. The service manager could argue that "lifetime" means the expected useful lifetime of a given component, and that when the valvetrain exceeds that expected lifetime, then the warranty coverage no longer applies. He would say there are no manufacturing defects, it's just normal wear and tear, therefore it can't be fixed under warranty.

In fact, I went so far as to use Chrysler's "Contact Us" link on their website to ask about this once, specifically citing the case of normal internal engine wear. Their response was that no Chrysler warranty covers part failure due to wear and tear.

There just isn't a whole lot of evidenceto make me feel too warm and fuzzy about the "lifetime" warranty. The powertrain warranty is free so there can't be a loss there. As for the MaxiCare, I came very close to buying it, but I started feeling like I had been "had" (the "too good to be true" gut feel kicked in) so I backed out. In fact I wonder if the free powertrain warranty is being offered in part just as a sales tool to leverage sales of the full blown warranty.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Antjmar
Rookie

Dakota2112, I hear what you are saying and dont totally disagree. But the warranty I want(zero deductible lifetime maxcare) retails forover $5000 I can get it online for about $3500. With the present financial situation of Chrsler I am skeptical giving them $3500 for somethingI may not use for the next 3-4 years!
Keep in mind most people Dont keep their cars more than 8 years so chances are they will not get $3500 repairs out of it. Some will get more butMost will get less thats whyDodge sells them, to make a profit.
Now if I keep the truck 13 years its about $350 a year. The first 3 years are free cause I have the 3/36K mile warranty already. $350 a year is peanuts considering how expensive partslike sensors,A/C compressors etc are!I only put 4-5K milesa year on it (its a 3rd car for us) So in 10 years ifI need a new tranny I cant see them saying well "sir they only last 50K miles so its not covered"!Granted if I had 250K miles they might try toweasel out of a repair!BUT the warranty say "lifetime" warranty not "expected lifetime" of component warranty. I am not expecting to have major engine/transmission repairs. I think the truck is well built. But the things like power window motors, fuel pump, alternator, water pump will wear out! That is what I am betting on. I dont care too much if I lose money long term, its just nice to drive a car and feel hey if it breaks its not my problem!If it prevents me from wanting to buy a new one in 10 years cause its not costing me anything (repairs) than I still saved money!
Hopefully when Awill99 get his paperworkhe can let us know exactly whatit says!

Quick Reply: Anyone BUY a lifetime powertrain warranty?