Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

SEMA '07: Barracuda

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:38 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SEMA '07: Barracuda

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: deranged

The wheel arches blow. Why they did that I'll never know but they screw up the whole look of the car. Smooth them out and they've got a winner. For you guys hoping for a 'Cuda, forget it unless you want to drop another $20K on a body kit and all the related body work and paint involved to make a Challenger a 'Cuda.

I'll take a plain old Challenger. Much more classy IMHO.
This wasnt done with a Challenger......this was done with car parts currently available on the market
I think it was mostly hand fabricated using a SRT Charger as the starting point. Removing basically all panels and starting with the platform then building it from there. This would make it even more cost prohibitive. I don't really think too many aftermarket parts are available for this conversion which is why Metal Crafters did the build. It's one thing replacing body parts on an original car but quite another grafting them to something that never was that car and making a structurally sound and functional vehicle.
I'm saying wait for the Challenger and then sink another $20 grand into it with a body kit (which the after market will be all over no doubt) and the related expense of body work? Just doesn't make sense to me to then be able to say you have a $50-60,000 Dodge Challenger 'Cuda.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Nofrag
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: grungerockjeeper

As much as I love the idea of this, actually building a new 'Cuda just wouldnt make sense since outside the different grille and the nameplate, there wouldnt be much to separate it from the challenger.

The thing to do would be to give it the same bodystyle as the 300C only shorter, and make it only as a ragtop, leaving the hardtop to the challenger. Then axe the sebring convertible.
A 2 door drop 300 would be sick. It was done custom already, and it's hot.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:33 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are some of my pictures of the "2008 Concept Cuda" as it was labeled at SEMA. More to come, along with some information.

Also coming, new pictures of the Stormtrooper, the Grand Caravan RT, and the rest of the Mopar display this week!!

And...what seems to be a fairly exclusive engine bay shot..more of them to come...i got more angles and such.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Kingelvis
Rookie

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

The wheel arches blow. Why they did that I'll never know but they screw up the whole look of the car. Smooth them out and they've got a winner. For you guys hoping for a 'Cuda, forget it unless you want to drop another $20K on a body kit and all the related body work and paint involved to make a Challenger a 'Cuda.

I'll take a plain old Challenger. Much more classy IMHO.
This wasnt done with a Challenger......this was done with car parts currently available on the market
I think it was mostly hand fabricated using a SRT Charger as the starting point. Removing basically all panels and starting with the platform then building it from there. This would make it even more cost prohibitive. I don't really think too many aftermarket parts are available for this conversion which is why Metal Crafters did the build. It's one thing replacing body parts on an original car but quite another grafting them to something that never was that car and making a structurally sound and functional vehicle.
I'm saying wait for the Challenger and then sink another $20 grand into it with a body kit (which the after market will be all over no doubt) and the related expense of body work? Just doesn't make sense to me to then be able to say you have a $50-60,000 Dodge Challenger 'Cuda.
Looking at the patterns on the rear valance/tulip panel and the hood, it appears to be carbon fiber. That would make sense because it's much MUCH cheaper andeasier to make one-off body panel dyes for carbon fiberthan making steel dyes.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:13 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or carbon fiber applique over hand formed metal. I really don't think they'd go to the trouble and expense to make up steel dies for a one-off. A skilled metal craftsman or 2 (hence the company name) could have produced any of these panels from steel as cheap as making up molds and such for carbon fiber. Look at NASCAR. The only "stock" panel on the car is the roof. The rest are made in the shop. It would seem to me then it would thenjust be a matter of applying thecarbon fiberover the steel panels.

In the end I just don't see a Chrysler 'Cuda in the future. There will be a market for the Challenger and a convertible no doubt is in the works. I'm sure that Chrysler is now learning it's lesson about too many of the same type vehicle from their own brands competing with one another in segments that are attracting the same buyers-someone is gonna lose. That's why we are seeing what is beginning to take place, models dropped. Why muddy the waters by 1 or 2 years down the roadproducing a 'Cuda that will compete in the same segment as the Challenger? Not good business sense.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:58 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

that thing looks sooo sick!!

Old 11-03-2007, 01:22 PM
threesixoh
Rookie

the interior is kinda ugly and plain, esp. for a concept car. Also, I personally dont think that carbon fibre belongs on a muscle car, unless it's done very sparingly. I'll admit that the hood looks nice in CF, but not the grille
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-04-2007, 03:55 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: threesixoh

the interior is kinda ugly and plain, esp. for a concept car. Also, I personally dont think that carbon fibre belongs on a muscle car, unless it's done very sparingly. I'll admit that the hood looks nice in CF, but not the grille
[align=left][/align]
the interior wasnt developed for the Cuda...it is Charger interior, made to fit. they didnt put design effort into that area...i like the challenger concept interior better, but that isnt so bad.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:33 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

Works for me.

I suspect even if Chrylser does not build, some "shop" will do a "coversion" for your Challenger if you really want a 'cuda

Old 11-05-2007, 08:28 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I'd rather have a Cuda then a Challenger to be honest.....just like the body style better...(classic versions...not this current one)

Quick Reply: SEMA '07: Barracuda