Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

CUT! "Chrysler" Journey...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:45 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CUT! "Chrysler" Journey...

Earlier this week, Chrysler announced it would pull four slow-selling products from the market in 2008. But according to Leftlane sources, company officials also decided recently to kill off a product that hasn't even been built yet — a Chrysler-branded version of the Dodge Journey.

Chrysler recently introduced the Dodge Journey, codenamed JC49, at the Frankfurt Motor Show. It was widely known that plans existed for a Chrysler version of this vehicle codenamed JZ49. Originally the Chrysler model was set to go into production some time in 2009. Later, word came down of a delay, of up to a year, on the JZ49 program.

Now comes word from industry and supplier sources that the JZ49 program has been killed outright. Reasons for the cancellation of JZ49 are not clear, though, product overlap with the Dodge Journey is a likely motive. It's also not clear if this was part of the part of the recent product lineup thinning announced by Chrysler's new management team.

This revelation will prove to be quite significant to Chrysler's lineup. With the Pacifica going away at the end of its current life cycle, and the JZ49 canceled, the Chrysler brand will be left with no traditional crossover vehicle in the show room.

What, if any, new crossover plans there might be for Chrysler are not known at this point. However, it would be hard to imagine that the Chrysler brand would abandon this segment all together.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: CUT! "Chrysler" Journey...

Perhaps they finally listened to all of us who are tired of everything being a bloody CUV or SUV....

Old 11-07-2007, 02:17 PM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Perhaps, but they really need a crossover to0 compete with gm/ford. Not everybody will buy a minivan. This is what happens when non car people run a car company.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:17 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: SHAPman

Perhaps, but they really need a crossover to0 compete with gm/ford. Not everybody will buy a minivan. This is what happens when non car people run a car company.

I disagree....they really dont need a crossover or a CUV....but that's just my opinion. Chrysler itself needs to take a long look at what kind of brand it is.....and stop trying to compete with everyone else.....there's a reason why Cadillac & Buick only make about 5 vehicles.....and that's something Chrysler should seriously take a long look at....

I mean why do we need a cheap & pricey version of the same vehicles in two different brands? Seriously, the only difference in most of the Chrysler/Dodge vehicles is the lights, logo, and sometimes a few minor bodypanels/front lips....

That's not to say that other car companies dont do the same.....but that's all Chrysler & Dodge do....

Aspen - Durango
Sebring - Avenger/Stratus/Avenger
T&C - Minivan
300 - Charger

I'm not trying to bash here, I'm simply saying that perhaps its time that Chrysler re-evaluated the market it wants to play in and make a push to THAT market instead of trying to dabble in all of them...

I mean seriously, picture this...

Chrysler 300C
Chrysler Crossfire replacement - performance coupe with luxury (think Chevy Corvette or Cadillac XLR)
Chrysler Sebring replacement - something smaller then the 300 (think Cadillac CTS)
Perhaps one CUV or crossover, but something to replace the Pacifica...not a minivan wannabe...(Cadillac SRX or Buick Enclave)

Old 11-07-2007, 05:27 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

I cant see killing the pacifica only to bring out something just like it. I mean, whats the real difference between it and the journey? If they want something more roadgoing in terms of a crossover/CUV then base it on the 300 so it would have actual towing capacity but without the weight and gas guzzling of the Aspen which hasnt been selling. These car-based suv things are all well and good for the 'i need a minivan but dont want to be a minivan mom' types, but anything even resembling an suv is expected to have some sort of utility to it. FWD just cant deliver that.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 AM
mb18
Record Breaker

I hate to say this, but I think everything's going to become centered on fuel economy, especially as gas prices keep rising in the next few weeks. In my opinion, the Chrysler Corp. needs to be keeping it's fuel efficient cars and CUVs. While the SUVs have great utility, the MPGs suck, and that's what's driving the market now. The whole corporation needs to put a small car/Neon replacement and a CUV into the market. Those market segments, which are already big, are going to grow by leaps and bounds with gas prices as high as they are. While the CUV doesn't offer as much utility as a traditional SUV, it's able to bridge the gap and provide it as a reasonable fuel cost, especially for those who just drive them to sit higher off the ground and feel safer.

Quick Reply: CUT! "Chrysler" Journey...