Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Original hemi verses Todays version

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:27 AM
ShocK
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original hemi verses Todays version

Which had more power?
The original Chrysler Hemi or Todays version?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:11 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Original hemi verses Todays version

This is an absolute no brainer......since the current "Hemi" motor isnt a Hemi.....

However, since we're playing the game.......

It's still the original Hemi by a mile....as most of those motors were putting out well over 500hp....some as high as 800hp on the stock setup...

Old 11-26-2007, 05:34 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

I have a '67 Hemi as well, and for brute power, there is no comparison...but hey, that 426 cubes vs. 345 and real hemispherical combusition chambers vs. flat tops with asimilar valve train. Overall, the new hemi is quite impressive, defintely more street friendly and an overall great motor. There is tons of debate and info on the differences between the two here and at other sites, but that's my two cents. The 6.1 version or 6.4 are even more impressive and I look forward to trying one in the new Challenger.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:34 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

6.1, 6.4, blah, how about this one....

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/blocks.html

Old 11-27-2007, 12:43 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

This is an absolute no brainer......since the current "Hemi" motor isnt a Hemi.....

However, since we're playing the game.......

It's still the original Hemi by a mile....as most of those motors were putting out well over 500hp....some as high as 800hp on the stock setup...
Remember to make the adjustments between net and gross hp when you compare them. The 392 crate engine produces more power than the 426 HEMI was rated at, but in all fairness, I don't think you can accurately compare the two of them. A lot of technological advancements since the 60s & early 70s. If both were made at the same time with the same technology, the big block would most likely prevail in the category of sheer power and torque.

Also remember the 426 was NOT the original HEMI, the first HEMI that Chrysler put into a production car was a small block from the 50s. Before that they made one for an aircraft for WWII, and I believe it was some other company that actually came up with the idea.

Quick Reply: Original hemi verses Todays version