Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Challenger Drivetrains

Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Challenger Drivetrains

[/align][/align]Details on Dodge Challenger drivetrains
AutoBlog.com[/align][/align]The Ford Mustang has held court in the modern day muscle car segment long enough. At least that's what Chevy and Dodge would like you to believe, as both brands are prepping their answer to the Mustang as we speak. Dodge's offering will of course be the new Challenger, and Allpar.com has dug up some news on the rear-wheel-drive muscle car's productions specs that was previously unknown. Along with detail information on each of the Challenger's drivetrains, including engines, transmissions and axle ratios, Allpar.com reveals two new features that the Challenger will sport when it goes on sale sometime next year as a 2009 model. The first is the same Hill Start Assist technology used on the Dodge Ram, Jeep Commander, Grand Cherokee and Liberty. Like the name suggests, HSA will hold the car in place on a hill, giving the driver a small amount of time to switch pedals and begin applying throttle. Hopefully it will save a few rear bumpers from some expensive bodywork. The second feature is called the Trak Pak, which is reportedly just a marketing term for a specific combination of transmission, shfiter and gearing. Available on R/T and SRT-8 models, the Tremec 6-speed manual is included, as well as a limited slip differential, though the axle ratio appears to vary between the two models on which the Trak Pak is included. [/align][/align]Going over the breakdown of each model's drivetrain, the base 2009 Dodge Charger appears to be a bit of a letdown with its 3.5L V6 and 4-speed automatic. Allpar.com reports that the 4.0L Phoenix V6 will replace the 4.5L eventually, but probably not until the 2011 model year. [/align][/align]Also of note is that Allpar.com claims that the first Challengers will actually be 2008 models produced as early as next March. These will only be SRT-8 models with an automatic, and as we reported earlier, will likely number less than 5,000. It sounds like immediately following this initial run, Dodge will begin producing all three variants of the Challenger as 2009 models. Will the Dodge Challenger have the goods to knock the Mustang off its throne? We're guessing it will make a dent in Mustang sales, as will the new Chevy Camaro, but that the Mustang will remain the segment's sales leader.[/align]

Old 11-27-2007, 10:15 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Challenger Drivetrains

hmmm...6.1 with track pack

Old 11-27-2007, 07:13 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure that sticking the v-6 with a slushbox only is the right way to go. But Im guessing that whoever made this call took a hard look at the ratio of 5spds to autos on base level mustangs in order to make an educated guess.

I really really hate those 20 inch wheels theyre sticking the v-8 models with. 18" like the bullit mags on the stang are plenty blinged enough for me...

Old 11-27-2007, 10:03 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

ive gotta agree about the wheels.....they make it look like its a chip foose car (i like old cars to be stock)
if i was to buy a new challenger (wish i could) i would proabaly put some smaller wheels on that have some more rubber on em...

Old 11-28-2007, 03:13 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: grungerockjeeper

Im not sure that sticking the v-6 with a slushbox only is the right way to go. But Im guessing that whoever made this call took a hard look at the ratio of 5spds to autos on base level mustangs in order to make an educated guess.

I really really hate those 20 inch wheels theyre sticking the v-8 models with. 18" like the bullit mags on the stang are plenty blinged enough for me...
I agree they should offer a manual as an option for the 3.5L. I wish they would make a RWD, longitude version of the new 62TE and use that. It would really make for a competitive package. I'm just glad they choose the 42RLE VLP over the W5A580. All of the tests I have read show that the 42RLE gets the same acceleration and same fuel economy as the W5A580 transmission between the Charger and 300 variants between the 3.5L H.O. This way it is at least going to be the cheaper approach and from what I have heard, the more reliable approach.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

4-speed automatic
That's cute. If they're going to do that, offer a 6 speed at least.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you not read the rest?

Old 11-30-2007, 01:26 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Midnight

Did you not read the rest?
I think he was refering to the 3.5 model and I agree they should offer a manual for all levels and not just the V8 models assuming this is accurate of course.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:29 AM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

I too agree about wheels...more rubber, less rim...just "old school" I guess. But, most likely the aftermarket will have plenty of options there..though 20" rims on SRT8's could narrow choices quickly.

I frankly applaud Dodge for this many options. Compared to the Charger, they've started to learn. Will be really interesting to see if they have a healthy "accessories" list? Skip extra cupholders but add different stripe options, go wing, shaker air scoop, Trak Pack gears beyond 3:92, and even rim choices. It delays production timing a bit, but they are also high margin line items for them.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Kingelvis
Rookie

Agree on the wheels being too big.

I'm intriqued by the 3.64:1 axle on the V6 - I'd love to swap that into my Charger - would really wake it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Challenger Drivetrains