Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

New study finds corn-based ethanol is worse for environment than fossil fuels

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:50 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New study finds corn-based ethanol is worse for environment than fossil fuels

A new report by Science magazine finds that biofuels actually produce more greenhouse gas emissions than fossil fuels when all steps of production are accounted for. In fact, the study finds that corn-based ethanol would double greenhouse emissions over the next 30 years.

The tremendous increase in greenhouses gases is a result of the energy required to fertilize, harvest and refine the biofuel, combined with the fact that the growth of corn replaces plants that help filter greenhouse gases.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-stud...sil-fuels.html

Old 02-22-2008, 10:34 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker
Default RE: New study finds corn-based ethanol is worse for environment than fossil fuels

lol, thats ironic.
When it came out every1 said that it would replace natural gas but i guess not, anyway ethanol has worse gas mileage than gas does

Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 PM
dhbgl1800
Rookie
Default RE: New study finds corn-based ethanol is worse for environment than fossil fuels

No surprise... I've held that opinion for a long time.
[sm=rant.gif]
I think that once all of the details are checked the Electric cars will show the same problems. Not only with production of electrictybut has anyone made mention of the cost of replacing batteries in one of those things? What about disposal of the old ones? How about places like the 'Fruit & Nut' state (Calif). They can't produce enough electricity to service the current usage demands. What happens when there are thousands of cars charging batteries?

Oh, well... it's gonna' happen... because most of the media and talking heads hate petroleum companies and know that most people believe the Global Warming scare...[sm=rant.gif]

Flame Suit on. [sm=boink3.gif]

Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

It's all a "dog and pony show" to win votes.......the impact on the earth to produce electric/green cars is no better than the present vehicles......and NOW, they are talking about a GLOBAL COOLING to soon follow this temporary global warming. I haven't read details yet, but I heard it on Glen Beck this morning in my car.......WTF, let me go live on my 40 acres in the San Luis Valley of Colorado.......I'll worry about the bunnies, antelope, deer,coyotes,and occasional black bear, mountain lion and wolf.....

Dusty

Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

freakin tree huggers all jump on the "save the enviorment" bandwagon to save the earth... but in reality are doing more harm than good at the time because it makes them "fell good" about themselves. It really has nothing to do with saving the earth at all. If they want to save the earth they need tostop using gas, electricity, water and stop eatingfood so the rest of us can have plenty for ourselves. We can just recycle our waste products and they can have them for food, they can all ride bicycles, not bathe, not shave, go naked(to save the animals) and just sleep on the ground(to save the trees needed for their homes).

We would have more electricity and oil if they would just let usbuild more nuclear power plants and oil rigs offshore the florida coast... I mean its just a bunch of swamp land anyway. Its not like they were pissing and moaning when disney built his huge park in the swamps so whats another rig or 2.

(sarcasm is my specialty)

Quick Reply: New study finds corn-based ethanol is worse for environment than fossil fuels