Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler to cut it's SUV offerings in half

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:33 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler to cut it's SUV offerings in half

ORIGINAL: grungerockjeeper

ORIGINAL: Altair

Liberty and Patriot are pretty similar, Compass is an embarassment to Jeep...

Did they ever give any reason for cutting the Neon? I still see that as one of the stupidest moves Chrysler has made.
The neon never did get cut, it was just replaced by the caliber.
The Neon did get cut, because it wasnt replaced by a 3rd Gen Neon, but rather a brand new model...

Old 04-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they ever give any reason for cutting the Neon? I still see that as one of the stupidest moves Chrysler has made.
The neon never did get cut, it was just replaced by the caliber. And if its going to be a one-bodystyle deal then a wagon should be it. There's tons of lame boring sedans out there, nothing wrong with going a little different route. Unless they plan on bringing back the coupe bodystyle alongside the sedan, then the neon can stay dead as far as Im concerned.
The caliber is butt ugly and it seems to be appealing to a different market than the neon did for the most part, I think Dodge could easily sell both.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:23 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

The neon never did get cut, it was just replaced by the caliber. And if its going to be a one-bodystyle deal then a wagon should be it. There's tons of lame boring sedans out there, nothing wrong with going a little different route. Unless they plan on bringing back the coupe bodystyle alongside the sedan, then the neon can stay dead as far as Im concerned.
The caliber is butt ugly and it seems to be appealing to a different market than the neon did for the most part, I think Dodge could easily sell both.
Taste is subjective, of course. Yeah they could probably sell both but like I said before unless they come up with a stylish coupe to go with a bread and butter sedan then theres no point. Honda and Chevy seem to sell plenty of civic and cobalt coupes so theres no reason not to offer something with style.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The ones to get rid of would be those tired, old, Jeep models - the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee.

Just kidding, I was just thinking of what the head decision makers at a large corporation, who went to college just to learn how to be stupid,and get way overpaid, might say...

Old 04-10-2008, 09:50 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Here is what I have been told by people in the know.

compass: bye bye
nitro: bye bye
aspen: on the bubble
commander : gone, but see GC.
Grand Cherokee: Mix the commander and gc together. GC will get bigger. Basically the commander will get renamed a GC.
Durango : Is based of the next GC. But it will be bigger than the GC.
Minivans will both stay, but get some distinctions between the two.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That list is about what I expected. The aspen really doesn't seem to have enough to differentiate it from the Durango and make it worth the extra cost. It'll be nice to see the Durango change in looks, the current one's side and back profile make me think jacked-up minivan.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 AM
CowardRubi06

Being an avid jeep lover and having owned a cherokee 4x4, 99 grand cherokee 4x4 and now owning an 06 Wrangler Rubicon, I can say that discontinuing the compass is like light shining through the clouds from heaven. If they built a fullsize suv with a suspension that can take punishment would be a welcome sight..........or at least a wrangler unlimited with a v8

Old 04-11-2008, 07:05 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

redundant' minivan models that compete against each other
Thank you! Excellent move

But I dissagree with the Pacifica. If engineered properly without minivan similarities I think it could compete with the X5 and Lexus SUV's

Old 04-11-2008, 09:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

In my opinion, they need to rethink the IFS 4x4 front ends in the Jeep line. I know they are gearing more for the "soccer moms" and most people never take them off road, and IFS is a more plush ride on pavement, blah, blah, blah. I knew when the Liberty was introduced and it had IFS, the GC would follow suit. To me, a Jeep should be the king of off-road vehicles, there is a lot of heritage here, and that heritage has always been "bulletproof", and an IFS is not bulletproof off pavement...

Quick Reply: Chrysler to cut it's SUV offerings in half