Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

UPDATED: 2006 Dodge Ram Information!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 06:48 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATED: 2006 Dodge Ram Information!

2005 Dodge Dakota Rear End (Note Badging and new tailight design)

The current Ram (DR platform), will be recieving it's mid-life refreshing in the 2006 model year. It is hard to thing that the current Ram platform's life span is almost half over. Dodge will refreshen the Ram lineup in 2006. Dodge has currently the "top-dog" lineup of trucks, including the 5.7L HEMI "MAGNUM" V-8, 5.9L CUMMINS "610" I-6 Turbo Diesel, and the 500 horsepower Ram SRT-10. But Dodge, despite getting huge pressure from a load of new pickups, so in 2006 Dodge will make their lineup even better.

2005 Dodge Durango Rear End (Note Badging and new tailight design)

Trucks like the upcoming all-new 2006 Chevrolet Silverado and 2006 GMC Sierra, 2004+ Ford F-150, refreshened 2005 Ford Superduty lineup, 2004+ Nissan Titan with it's 5.6L "ENDURANCE" V-8 making 305 horsepower and 379 ft-lbs of torque, and the upcoming 2006 Toyota Tundra, are going to make the truck market even a more harder of a market for Dodge to maintain it's "top-dog" full-size image.

5.7L HEMI "MAGNUM" V-8: will get Multiple Displacement System for 2006:

The 2006 Dodge Ram will have huge changes. Lets start with the powertrain changes. The 5.7L HEMI "MAGNUM" V-8 will return throughout the Ram pickup lineup, however you will see a huge change in the performance of this engine. First off, the engine will recieve the same treatment that the car version of the 5.7L HEMI V-8 (2005 Dodge Magnum and 2005 Chrysler 300) with the introduction of MDS or Multiple Displacement System, which will turn the V-8 into a gas saving V-4 in 40 milliseconds at crusing speed, improving gas mileage by almost 5 mpg in the city. A big rumor is that the 5.7L HEMI "MAGNUM" V-8 will recieve additional horsepower from the factory making it have an additional 5 horsepower (350) and another 10 ft-lbs of torque (385) by tweaking the computer. This is so Dodge can brag about having the best torque in class over the 5.6L "ENDURANCE" V-8 by Nissan.

3.7L "MAGNUM" V-6 and 4.7L "MAGNUM" V-8 news has been quiet. However, expect the V-6 not to get the MDS option by the 4.7L to have it available by mid-year 2006 or early 2007. No word in improving power in either of these engines as of yet. Sources have said that the 4.7L HO (High Output) "MAGNUM" V-8 available in the 2005 Dodge Dakota will not be available in the Ram platform, I personally hope this is wrong, and they do put it in the 1500 series lineup.

Car version of the 6.1L HEMI V-8:

Alright, big news for the 2006 model year is the introduction of the long awaited 6.1L HEMI "MAGNUM" V-8. Not sure of the power ratings as of yet for the trucks, but I am sure it won't disapoint. This engine will only be available in the Ram Heavy Duty lineup (2500 & 3500), which will take over for where the 8.0L "MAGNUM" V-10 left off. No plans for releasing it to the Ram 1500 as of yet.

Another powertrain tip, is the release of a new Mercedes Benz 6-speed automatic transmission for the 5.7L and 6.1L HEMI "MAGNUM" V-8s. Altough this is a rumor, Mercedes has just released a new 7-speed automatic for their car lineup, and with a 6-speed automatic, the Ram HEMI lineup would gain even greater MPG. It would be a basic 4-speed automatic w/ two seperate overdrive gears. Will we have to wait further on this one, to know if it is true or not.

2005 Dodge Dakota Laramie Models (Notice the shape of the newer crosshair grilles from Dodge):

Alright, lets talk exterior changes. The Ram lineup first off, will get new tailights, similar to those on the 2005 Dodge Dakota. It also have a new grille design, similar to that of the 2004+ Durango and 2005+ Dakota ones, which have a horiziontal shape to them. They will also have a new front bumper design, similar to the new 2004+ Durango and 2005+ Dakota models. Someone on another website, saying they were an insider said Rams with the Laramie package will get new HID headlamps, altough it is highly doubtful. Another place to expect huge changes is the bed area, with more of a deep groove look to them. Wheels are another feature expected to change, expect new wheel designs, a new set of 20" rims as well as 17" rims. Two rumors have been said about wheels as well. One rumor has the Ram 1500 models with available 22" rims, however you will more than likely not see this since the Ram SRT-10 has 22" rims, and that is Dodge's image truck, and they don't want any regular Ram to carry their flagship's wheels. The second is the upgrade from 17" rims to 18" rims, like those on the 2004 Ford F-150. One more exterior feature you will see, is the "Mega Cab", an actual crew cab by Dodge, that will have a little more room behind the back seats, for more comfort and to store objects.

Quad Cab and Mega Cab steel cab frame:

Now the interior, is where we will see big change. The Ram will get rid of it's minivan looking dash, and opt for a dash layout similar to that of the new generation Durango. It will feature an all-new stereo system setup, optional navigation stereo/headunit on Laramie models, all-new climate controls, all new gauge design (look at the ones on 2005 Dakota and 2004+ Durango). The big word from insiders is Dodge will be offering electronic in the dash shift 4X4 system, on all 4X4 models, not just Laramie. An upcoming US law is requiring that all auto makers have tire pressure monitoring systems on all four tires, expect Dodge Ram to debut this in 2006, a year ahead of schedule. Also, word is out about a new seat design, possibly will not make it in the 2006 model year, but a year later in 2007. Not much has been said, about a center console option. I would highly suggest that Dodge would build one, similar to that found in the F-150 and Titan pickups, in which a shifter is built in the counsole. Reason being, the option of auto-stick in Ram pickups, not saying there will be one, but this is what I would like to see.

2004 Dodge Durango Interior: (Note the gauge design, layout of dash design, and audio and climate controls)

Also expect to see a special edition remake of the Warlock pickup from the late 70's, to make its return to take over where the 2004-2005 Rumble Bee models left off. However pickuptruck.com has broken information that after Rumble Bee "Second Swarm" production, Dodge will introduce a new Ram Daytona lineup, which will debut sometime later this year. So the Warlock Edition pickups, could be a run after the Ram Daytona, but it is still too early to tell!

2005 or 2006? Dodge Ram 1500 Daytona... shown at NAIAS (North American Intr'l Auto Show) in Detroit. More than likely a late 2005 model.

The new Rams should debut next month at the Chicago Auto Show!

That is most of what is fact, or what is being said around the internet. I will update this as more information comes.

redriderbob

Old 01-20-2005, 09:49 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UPDATED: 2006 Dodge Ram Information!

Yesterday, I recieved a phone call from my dad around a quarter after 4:00 pm, that he saw three Dodge pickups, two of which were in camo going westbound on I-69. Well him and I both work at a place in Armada, Michigan in northern Macomb County and our route back home to Port Huron happens to be a great deal going eastbound on I-69. As I was driving today, he was fallwoing me, I saw the same three trucks he had seen yesterday.

The first truck was in camo and was a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 which was all black, but it was a Mega Cab model that featured the long box option. You could easily tell it was Mega Cab from the size of the cab even though it was covered by camo. The second truck in the pack was another all black 2006 Dodge Ram in camo, but this model was a 3500 Mega Cab DRW (Dual Rear Wheel) model. It had the same camo, and none of which had engine badging like the current model year Rams have on their Heavy Duty lineup, which leads me to think they are doing final testing on the 6.1L HEMI "MAGNUM" V-8 before its debut at the Chicago Auto Show next model. The truck fallowing those two was a brand new 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4X4 in Black w/ 20" rims, maybe to add support incase of any problems w/ the other trucks. It was very neat to see this trucks, and you could easily see the new grille under the camo.

I will start carrying my camera w/ me, so I can shoot these trucks if I see them again. Aparently for the past few days, they have been doing testing on westbound I-69... I spotted them today near the Fox Road overpass... so if you are in the area and see these trucks, you will know what they are.

I can't wait till next month, and I will post more of the lastest information as soon as it becomes available.

redriderbob

Old 01-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: UPDATED: 2006 Dodge Ram Information!

I love the new Dakotas. I hope the new Ram grills look more like the Dakota grill.

Quick Reply: UPDATED: 2006 Dodge Ram Information!