Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Viper Conner Ave Factory to be sold (sad)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

6.1L and a 6.4L HEMI Viper would be nice. But they should never put the 5.7L in there.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:22 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight
6.1L and a 6.4L HEMI Viper would be nice. But they should never put the 5.7L in there.
Personally, if it means keeping the Viper around, any V8 would do at this point.....and honestly, I dont expect the 6.4L to make it into any production car as an option with Chrysler right now....if ever.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

Well it's being work on behind closed doors.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

DR, the V8 idea is a cool one, but that decision would have had to been made before the Challenger. There's not enough sports car market for Challenger V8's and Viper V8's. I love both cars, but I think the Challenger is a 2-3 year model anyways and so throwing a Viper V8 into the mix would just cannibalize the Challenger sales. If this is a move to save money(and Chrysler), I think it's a good one. If this is the beginning of the dismantling of Chrysler (Cerberus is a capital company and profit is everything), then this is the beginning of a trend that will not end until Chrysler is gone.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Originally Posted by mantisman51
DR, the V8 idea is a cool one, but that decision would have had to been made before the Challenger. There's not enough sports car market for Challenger V8's and Viper V8's. I love both cars, but I think the Challenger is a 2-3 year model anyways and so throwing a Viper V8 into the mix would just cannibalize the Challenger sales. If this is a move to save money(and Chrysler), I think it's a good one. If this is the beginning of the dismantling of Chrysler (Cerberus is a capital company and profit is everything), then this is the beginning of a trend that will not end until Chrysler is gone.
I dont know, the Corvette still sold quite well despite the Camaro/Trans-Am/Firebird.....and I'd be willing to bet alot more people would spend the cash on a V8 powered Viper since they cant get their hands on a Chally right now....

To be honest, its just smart business..

Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

A v8 wouldn't cut it, the Viper would be dead within a year following the release.

If Dodge sells the Viper off, there will be no Dodge. Period.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:43 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Originally Posted by ViperGTS
A v8 wouldn't cut it, the Viper would be dead within a year following the release.

If Dodge sells the Viper off, there will be no Dodge. Period.
I disagree with this statement, as many of the true musclecar heads will.....

#1 motor used by exotics and high end performance cars?? A V8 motor...

If you dropped a 600hp V8 into the Viper, the only thing people would bitch about is that its not a "true" Viper....beyond that, everyone would be all about it...

Old 09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan to keep mine for about 10 years, which means I have about 6 to go. This could change if the line is sold to some other auto maker, just denpends on what happens after the sale.

I am going to get out of the "modern" muscle car thing when I get rid of it, well for my toys anyhow, DD is another story. As much as I like the idea of a 99 ACR I am going back to old school. Well, do you consider a Cobra replica old school??? Or a 32 Ford with a glass body old school??? I guess I do

Old 09-05-2008, 02:47 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

#1 motor used by exotics and high end performance cars?? A V8 motor...

If you dropped a 600hp V8 into the Viper, the only thing people would bitch about is that its not a "true" Viper....beyond that, everyone would be all about it...
Who the hell is everyone? People bitching about the fuel economy or the people writing Consumer Reports?

Everyone who has a Viper is either on the VCA or the Alley, the majority wouldn't consider a V8 Viper. You tell me. Just because Dodge is going to save a few bucks by removing 2 cylinders, is it worth permanently damaging the Viper's reputation and potentially crippling sales?

And how many V8 motors are out there? They all blend into one another whether it's the Koenigsegg CCX's, the old BMW Alipina B10's, or the Corvette's. It's all the same and if you really think about it, a Porsche GT3's 6-cylinder can kick all their asses in certain events. Therefore the Viper really should be a 6 cylinder, right? Afterall, "the only thing sheeple would bitch about is that its not a "true" Viper....beyond that, everyone would be all about it."

So what I'm getting at is this apparent "Viper degradation" is that Dodge is hopeless. They've already trashed the insides of the Viper with plastic, kept the GTS's rear tail lights, and now they want to tarnish the V10? How dare you! Either keep it, sell it to a company that will take care of an icon, or end production.

You and other hardcore enthusiasts might recall that the early Viper's were infact V8's. Correct, and they had Viper character seen in newer generations. But the amount of engineering needed to put into a V8, creating a new assembly line and keeping a near 2-ton car competitive is not realistic. You're going to see so many Viper fanboys moving out.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

Not everyone thinks like you...

Lance, sell me the Viper when you're done with it.

Quick Reply: Viper Conner Ave Factory to be sold (sad)