Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

review of $45000 Hybrid Durango

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:40 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default review of $45000 Hybrid Durango

http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/35998

Old 09-08-2008, 05:14 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HankL
I'll be honest and state for those who might not know me well enough yet that I don't like nor see the real purpose of hybrids in the market and prefer the diesel route. To me this is just a gimmick model, although it's an improvement it's probably too little, too late. Had this been introduced back in 2004, it might have been good enough for fuel prices of that time, but I doubt it will work for the current market.

Although a towing capacity of 6000 is much better than any more efficient CUVs can accomplish, it probably isn't enough for the hard core audience. On top of this, if you are planning on towing something, I doubt the hybrid will really be able to save you the money.

I would have went with the proven market and offered a diesel for more fuel efficient options. The towing doesn't suffer at all, the performance keeps getting better and better, and the real SUV crowd likes diesels. The only practical use of this technology that I can see would be in the LX sedans, but that's not necessarily an endorsement either.

I think Chrysler needs to pay attention to the market. Although some hybrids sell well, others do not. It's still a lifestyle gap at this point.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:17 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hybrids are nothing but a fashion statement for the greenie crowd, nothing more. They cost more in both the short and long run, and as to saving the environment thats crap too. Thats goop inside those batteries is a toxic nightmare, not flowers and petals. And dont let your greenie friends try that "Theyre 75% recyclable" line on you. About 75% of a battery is the outer casing, plates, electrodes, etc which is all plastic and metal and none of it is an environmental hazard. The electrolytic fluid is the part thats a hazard and none of it is recyclable, it has to be disposed of. And when those batteries are a minimum $3000 liability on a car that has no enthusiast following (the kind of following that restores cars...Um, the REAL recycling) thats a lot of cars that have to be disposed of as well.

Hybrids and ALL electric cars should be abandoned entirely in favor of better engine technology and biofuels.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:19 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not worth it

Old 09-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great product, too expensive.

Quick Reply: review of $45000 Hybrid Durango