Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Diesel Dakota 2010

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:26 AM
bruno426
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Diesel Dakota 2010

Any of you guys plan on looking into the diesel dakota scheduled for 2010?

I am planning on looking into geting one myself, but only if they offer a manual 5 speed. I like the look of the newer 08 dakotas that have the nitro front end, but the one thing that I absolutly hate about these newer trucks is that the interior always seems to have the center console that goes all the way to the dash. I prefer to have an open floor, and a stick that goes all the way to the floor with a good looking boot around it, Kinda like the older rams 94-98. Or even dare I say it like the 96 ranger had in its stick shift version. I like a cneter console, but always feel restricted in these vehicles that have that console that goes to the dash.

What do you guys think, not only about the console, but also about the diesel dakota specs in general what few there are?

My preference would be as follows
V8 cummins (I know they are looking at a V6, Just like the V8 design)
5 Speed manual
Black or tan leather seats
Good surround sound with somekind of subs (although even if they dont include them ill put my own in)
Power seats
Power windows
Power locks
leather like dash top
4x4 (I will add a detroit auto locker to the back, and it MUST BE A FLOOR SHIFT STICK, NO PUSHBUTTONS OR TURN *****. SOLID LINKAGE TO THE TRANSFER CASE)
Either Red Or Black, If possible Black over silver.
In bed liner, not the spray in, must be solid plastic drop in.
Bed caps, that are diamons plated.
Sliding back glass

Possibly some other things that I have missed, but lets hear what you guys would want in one.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:15 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

If I was going to get back into a truck, a diesel is the only option I'd realistically consider. Why?

1.) Better overall performance and fuel mileage
2.) More options for additional power with relatively little effort
3.) Better resale value then traditional gas powered model

Sure, diesel is more expensive right now then gas...but if I'm getting 3-5mpg better.... I consider it worth it..

Old 10-02-2008, 12:22 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive not seen anything about a diesel dakota..links?

Old 10-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Ben D.
Champion

diesel will happen but the stick shift aint that's for sure.. too many people nowadays are too damn lazy to shift their own gears and now manufacturers hardly even offer the stick shifts. THe new 09 ram has no stick shift which is a travesty

Old 10-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Nofrag
Champion

I like the idea, have they posted any mileage numbers from testing or is it still in concept phase?

I generally prefer diesel, but it would be nice if the respective governments of north america would regulate cleaner burning diesel fuels.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:13 PM
dakster
Banned

Originally Posted by Ben D.
diesel will happen but the stick shift aint that's for sure.. too many people nowadays are too damn lazy to shift their own gears and now manufacturers hardly even offer the stick shifts. THe new 09 ram has no stick shift which is a travesty
LAZINESS! I take offense to that!!! Some people (like me) can't use a stick shift due to health reasons. It's to hard for me to use a stick shift since I can barely use my right arm. Now if it were an option that wouldn't be bad either; you'd just have to pay extra for it.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:20 PM
murdoc chongo
Professional

i think what he meant was people dont desire manual trannys because they would rather be using their hands for other purposes i.e. cell phones, breakfast, hanky panky, etc. i dont think he meant to offend you. its hard for me to drive stick since i blew out my knee. i still have one but it may be going soon. i have to say though that trucks have really changed i think for the worse. since when should trucks look like luxury vehicles. what happened to the saddle blanket bench seat?

Old 10-02-2008, 03:32 PM
dakster
Banned

Originally Posted by murdoc chongo
since when should trucks look like luxury vehicles. what happened to the saddle blanket bench seat?
Since women decided they wanted to be men, and do and drive what men wanted to do, but they werent happy with it, so they had to froo-froo, and chush them up!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:01 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ben D.
90% of the time I fully agree. Now in cases like Dakster where its a health issue or disability then fine, thats a legit need for the slushbox. But other than that theres really no benefit to it, not in a vehicle thats meant for the enthusiast or to actually DO something. If you do a lot of trailering, then maybe Ill go along with it there too, but even semis are manuals. Thing is, with all the mpg concerns why arent the manufacturers pushing sticks? As the engine size and output is reduced, the benefits of manual trannys grows exponentially. Theyre more fun to drive, more reliable, cheaper to maintain, cheaper to service, and they allow you to wring every last hp, or ft-lb of torque you have.

I think to take the option of shifting your own gears away from truck and car owners is nothing short of an outrage. The lack of a manual trans, and the lack of an offering from Jeep is why at this point Id pretty much never consider a fullsize rig. Smaller trucks are too small, especially for an over 6 footer like myself and I hate the look of extended cabs so that's out too. And your usually stuck with some rubberband 4cyl or v-6.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:04 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Originally Posted by Nofrag
I like the idea, have they posted any mileage numbers from testing or is it still in concept phase?

I generally prefer diesel, but it would be nice if the respective governments of north america would regulate cleaner burning diesel fuels.
The last thing you want to do is give a bunch of bureaucratic fatasses who dont even know where the hoodlatch is on their own car even MORE say in the industry. Anyone who knows thing #1 about cars can tell you that the government has done nothing but screw up the industry. And govt. mandates only drive up prices and thats the last thing we need. If you dont believe me, just look at what the mandate has done for ethanol.

But all that aside, diesel burns pretty clean. Here in the states, our emissions standards are the strictest on the planet. Its beyond ridiculous. All its done is keep diesels off the market. CRD Liberty, anyone? A truck--a REAL one that can tow, haul, and go offroad that gets 26 mpg hwy on simple, reliable technology whose demand was more than twice the projection got taken off the market becuase of some silly government regulations. So there's the result of that.

Last edited by grungerockjeeper; 10-02-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Diesel Dakota 2010